part p clarify

so lets get this straight then. i can bond either temporary,supplementary and permanently, like for like, and repair, and just use plug for soundness test eg macerator and stay away from central heating controls. plumbing and electrics seem to go hand in hand.

Sponsored Links
MEB never has been notifiable and still isn't.

Got my terminology wrong again, or I got the wrong end of the stick completely.

Bonding is certifiable, and it is pretty pointless writing out a certificate if you are not recognised by the part p scheme, or should I say A part p scheme?

Is this how I should have stated it?

I think it is a little bit theoretical as I can not imagine there are a whole lot of installations that are all nice and safe and wonderful if the installer did not bother installing earth correctly.

Must admit I have lost the plot a bit on what is notifiable and what is certifiable apart from the blatantly obvious. If I ever had a plot on this subject.

Ben: MEB -gas and water are non notifiable (10mm)

Notifiable-kitchen,bathroom and special location. ;)

Oh plz, put me out of my misery.
Bonding in kitchen notifiable???
Bonding what? Admittedly I like bonding the stainless steel sink to hot and cold, but I have never seen any requirement to do so.
Got a fair amount of paperwork collected, but all I can see here after my move is guidance note 7, which specifies how to do it but not the papertrail, and a lot is still hiding in boxes.
And did I finally say it right, MEB is certifiable (but not notifiable) or am I?

Sponsored Links
bengasman said:
...bonding is notifiable as far as I know.
It doesn't take knowledge to determine whether or not bonding is notifiable.

You merely have to read the Building Regulations to see that it isn't.

Supplementary bonding is not notifiable anymore
When was it notifiable?

I would imagine that installing a CPC would be classified as a part rewire.
That isn't a connection to the MET, and it isn't any form of bonding.

ajs heating said:
who would care if it's notifiable or not
Plenty of people care, and changing your user name doesn't the hide the fact that you're an idiot.

people that tampered before with the elecs and gas are still going to tamper now whether part p or corgi.
People like you of course. :rolleyes:

having a cert that its passed aint going to stop them.
i admit i still done gas and elecs before having part p and corgi.
In that case you're a self-confessed criminal.

bengasman said:
Admittedly I like bonding the stainless steel sink to hot and cold
What risk do you think you're mitigating by doing that?

And did I finally say it right, MEB is certifiable (but not notifiable) or am I?
What do you mean by "certifiable"?

bengasman said:

What do you mean by "certifiable"?

if it makes me an idiot whats that make you, look little boy i was in the trade long before corgi and all these regs existed.

------------

Insult removed
Mod9

bengasman said:

The same sort of risk that necessitates the bonding of a bath with the difference that I don’t tend to submerse myself in the sink but the likelihood of electrical appliances being used in the kitchen a bit higher than in the bathroom.
Methinks it is quite possible for a double insulated blender to be knocked into a sink full of water. The rcd would probably react a bit quicker than a 20 or 30 amp mcb.
If I really sat down, I could probably dream up half a dozen more situations that would benefit from 0.03 ohm resistance to earth.
Never seen diy plugs with no proper cord grip and the sheath ending a couple of inches short of the plug whilst the wire looked like it had lived in the shed for a decade before gramps decided it would do nicely for the old lamp on top of the fridge? Said lamp of course having no cord grip at all with a good 10 centimetres of unprotected wires hanging out?
Old toasters with completely dried out and cracked rubber cable?
Radios and the likes balancing precariously on an overfull windowsill?
Any of all those things that should be earthed but are fed from one of those horrible 3way splitters or whatever you call them and thus have lost their connection with the cpc?

bengasman said:
The same sort of risk that necessitates the bonding of a bath with the difference that I don’t tend to submerse myself in the sink but the likelihood of electrical appliances being used in the kitchen a bit higher than in the bathroom.
Methinks it is quite possible for a double insulated blender to be knocked into a sink full of water. The rcd would probably react a bit quicker than a 20 or 30 amp mcb.
If I really sat down, I could probably dream up half a dozen more situations that would benefit from 0.03 ohm resistance to earth.
If I've understood you correctly, you have foreseen the possibility of the sink becoming live, and that someone would touch both the sink and one of the taps, thus providing a circuit through their body?

For this to be a hazard there would have to be a significant resistance between the sink and the tap. I suppose this is possible, if the tap is mounted on a plastic bezel that provides no metal contact on top of the sink, and bolted underneath up to a horseshoe that is prevented from touching the sink by a rubber washer.

Fair play. That seems like a possibility.

Never seen diy plugs with no proper cord grip and the sheath ending a couple of inches short of the plug whilst the wire looked like it had lived in the shed for a decade before gramps decided it would do nicely for the old lamp on top of the fridge? Said lamp of course having no cord grip at all with a good 10 centimetres of unprotected wires hanging out?
Probably. But are you saying that these bare wires could come into contact with the sink? :confused:

Old toasters with completely dried out and cracked rubber cable?
Yes. But ditto.

Radios and the likes balancing precariously on an overfull windowsill?
Yes. I suppose so.

Any of all those things that should be earthed but are fed from one of those horrible 3way splitters or whatever you call them and thus have lost their connection with the cpc?
How does a three-way splitter break the connection with the CPC?

Nige hope you didn`t do kitchen or bathroom because they are so much more difficult than the rest of the circuit :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

:LOL:
No, it was just bedrooms , the kitchen and bathroom were done before part P...with white cable -red+black conductors (earth sleeved green/yellow . switch live sleeved red , boxes earth tabbed) ;) I just looked and checked while I was going round :cool:

surely if you run MEB to gas an water and back to CU or MET , you would have to notify in in a special location and surely you would have to be competant to do it and it would require testing along with the appropriate test equipment .

Did i read some where of a new ACS/Element on Bonding from £ORGI the other week/month .

I thought the most important thing was the earth .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back