part p clarify

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can a plumber do like for like electrics as in wiring an immersion. surely he shouldnt need spark for that. a plumber can earth bond as long as he gets a spark to pass it. please clarify for me,cheers.

Sponsored Links
If it's a repair (to replace a part or a wire, he can do it).

Yipee...I`ve just replaced wire to the lights in half my house....there was no earth conductor :cry: there is now :) and I saved a fortune :LOL:

Nige hope you didn`t do kitchen or bathroom because they are so much more difficult than the rest of the circuit :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
Earth bonding isn't notifiable so why would a spark need to pass it?

Like for like exchanges can be done by anyone including the home owner.

who would care if it's notifiable or not people that tampered before with the elecs and gas are still going to tamper now whether part p or corgi.
having a cert that its passed aint going to stop them.
i admit i still done gas and elecs before having part p and corgi.

I am extraordinary lucky every boiler i put in already has a fused spur just beside where it is going. ;)

As the boiler is classed as a permanent appliance the 'fortuitous' fused spur does not exclude the need for testing.

And if it is in a kitchen or bathroom the circuit and boiler are still fully notifiable :cry:

As the boiler is classed as a permanent appliance the 'fortuitous' fused spur does not exclude the need for testing.

And if it is in a kitchen or bathroom the circuit and boiler are still fully notifiable :cry:

People keep getting confused, read page 8 & 9 of document http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf
I interpret this to mean if I am using an existing fused spur, there is no need to notify, how can it be interpreted any other way.

You are reading the regulations selectively.

Heating installation wiring is notifiable, it says that on the pages you have posted. Boilers are classed as fixed items even if a plug and socket is used.

If you fit a boiler in a kitchen or bathroom it is notifiable. If you connect a boiler and controls anywhere else it should be tested by a Part P qualified person. If there is controls wiring it is notifiable.

If you are connecting new boilers in peoples homes then under Building Regs you should be either a part P holder yourself or hiring somebody that is.

The facts are that at the moment my estimate is that only 10% of installations are being checked by a qualified person (Part p qualified) and that makes life very difficult for those of us who have paid for the training, test gear, trade membership and calibration.

Few customers want to pay for the additional time (and sometimes materials) required to complete these tests and there is very little enforcement going on.

I don't necessarily agree with Part P, Billy Bob - but your interpretation of the regs is convenient but wrong. Unfortunately!

? :?:

Something requiring knowledge and availability of PFC test equipment would appear not to be diy, and bonding is notifiable as far as I know.
Supplementary bonding is not notifiable anymore, but I would imagine that installing a CPC would be classified as a part rewire.

You are reading the regulations selectively.

Heating installation wiring is notifiable, it says that on the pages you have posted. Boilers are classed as fixed items even if a plug and socket is used.

If you fit a boiler in a kitchen or bathroom it is notifiable. If you connect a boiler and controls anywhere else it should be tested by a Part P qualified person. If there is controls wiring it is notifiable.

If you are connecting new boilers in peoples homes then under Building Regs you should be either a part P holder yourself or hiring somebody that is.

The facts are that at the moment my estimate is that only 10% of installations are being checked by a qualified person (Part p qualified) and that makes life very difficult for those of us who have paid for the training, test gear, trade membership and calibration.

Few customers want to pay for the additional time (and sometimes materials) required to complete these tests and there is very little enforcement going on.

I don't necessarily agree with Part P, Billy Bob - but your interpretation of the regs is convenient but wrong. Unfortunately!

Welcome to our world, we have had this situation with gas for ages

Most of my work is new build, so the site electrician takes care of the power side, I run the control wiring as I only use low voltage controls, but if I was doing a like for like boiler change in the same location connecting to the same fused spur I will do this myself, I think it is unreasonable for anyone to think that my customers should pay more for me to take part P courses just to do this, also why should I charge more for an electrician for doing nothing more complicated than changing a plug, it is an insult to our inteligence, if however I needed a new circuit for a boiler in a new location, I would use an electrician, but the job would be larger so could warrant the extra costs.

I agree with your sentiments, Billy Bob, and it's my world too. I run an installation/maintenance company.

also why should I charge more for an electrician for doing nothing more complicated than changing a plug, it is an insult to our inteligence, if however I needed a new circuit for a boiler in a new location, I would use an electrician, but the job would be larger so could warrant the extra costs.

The Part P is more about testing the work than the installation itself. If you are connecting a boiler to an existing fused spur then you have to test the entirety of that circuit for polarity, earth impedance, insulation resistance, correction cable sizing throughout, and the protection relevant to the circuit ie: consumer unit fusing and earthing.

This is because the Government class a boiler as a fixed appliance. The only difference between a boiler in a kitchen and in the hall is that the one in the kitchen will always be notifiable, the one in the hall depends on the controls. Both should be tested to Part P using the requisite calibrated instruments and a record kept of the test results, if you are keeping to the Building regs.

As I say, hardly anyone does it, but this is the way it is decreed!

bengasman";p="812984 said:

? :?:

MEB never has been notifiable and still isn't.

Why do people keep saying Part P qualified? There is no such qualification its a registration scheme to say your aware of the Building regs and are compliant.

All testing is carried out in line with BS7671,OSG and GN3 not Part P.Part P has everything to do with install from where its located to how its fitted and nothing to do with the testing.

Certs were and had to be issued way before Part P was introduced, its a requirement of the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back