PASTE OR COMPOUND?

I have tried PTFE tape on compression olives and find that it works. It gives me a good seal with no leaks. So I use it and am happy to recommend it to other DIYers. I do not pretend to be a profesional plumber and I do not pretend to have made so many compression joiunts that I can make them leaksproof without help.

I have not yet found anyone with a similarly logical reason for not using it. For example, you have not said that it makes the joints explode, or leak, or corrode. You have only said you don't like it. I don't know if this opinion is based on experience of having tried it, like my opinion is.

I have not seen the documents you mention. I have never wanted to claim on a guarantee on a compression joint.

If you have any fact-based evidence, please share it.

Sponsored Links
I have stated the reasons on the other post, it is not a case that I do not like it, I am stating as a proffessional it is simply not required, and as Prestex say in their email reply to me that the use of PTFE on their joints would invalidate the warranty, so if you do not want to listen to the opinion of a qualified installer, then listen to the manufacturer, if you still disagree with them why not email and tell them they are wrong.

I have seen joints made by professional plumbers that leak, and also joints made by amateur plumbers that leak. Since I started using PTFE on my olives, none of them have leaked.

I haven't seen the email you mention; I don't buy Prestex, and I have no interest in their warranty terms.

I am only interested in making a joint that doesn't leak.

If someone can prove to me that PTFE doesn't achieve that, then I wil reconsider.

Until then, it works, so I use it. I'd be a fool not to.

As I said do as you want, but do not misinform the rest of the public, PTFE is not needed on compression joints end of.
Maybe if you used a quality compression fitting such as Prestex instead of cheap crap you would not get leaks in the first place.

Sponsored Links
You say it's not needed. Maybe you are the one solid gold plumber in the world who has never had a leak, I don't know.

Are you going to tell me that PTFE on the olives doesn't prevent my joints leaking?

No?

Are you going to tell me it won't help other DIYers in the same way?

No?

Are you going to tell me we shouldn't use a simple technique that prevents leaks?

No?

You say it's not needed. Maybe you are the one solid gold plumber in the world who has never had a leak, I don't know.

Are you going to tell me that PTFE on the olives doesn't prevent my joints leaking?

No?

Are you going to tell me it won't help other DIYers in the same way?

No?

Are you going to tell me we shouldn't use a simple technique that prevents leaks?

No?

As I said, don't tell me, email Conex and Prestex and tell them that you are a DIYer and think they are wrong in their advice about PTFE on compression fittings

I don't need to, I've found a method that works so I'm happy to use it.

I don't care about their product warranty. I don't know anyone who's ever tried to claim when their joint leaked, do you?

What do you hope to gain by arguing against a method which works?

I don't need to, I've found a method that works so I'm happy to use it.

I don't care about their product warranty. I don't know anyone who's ever tried to claim when their joint leaked, do you?

What do you hope to gain by arguing against a method which works?

Running a gas supply above ground in MDPE will work, but that does not make it right

Using PTFE on compression joints is wrong, it is not the proffessional way to do it, I am not arguing about it, I just want to make it clear to others that read this that using PTFE on compression joints is not needed, assemble the joint correctly, tighten correctly job done.

it prevents leaks but it's wrong :eek:

and unlike overground MDPE gas pipe, it does not cause danger, or have any other downside you can think of

You'll be telling me next that because it's a new-fangled invention, 'tis flying in the face of nature and no good will come of it.

But it's simple, it works, and it prevents leaks. So I shall recommend it to anyone who wants a simple, cheap and effective method of preventing leaky joints. If necessary I shall warn them that some traditionalist plumbers don't approve of it, and if that's more important to them than a simple, leak free joint, they should not use the method.

As I have said many times before, the manufacturers do not recommend the use of PTFE on their fittings, fact, you are a DIYer and as a DIYer you tend to do what you want, regulation, and installation guidance is mostly ignored by DIYers, so you carry on knock yourself out, but do not mis-inform the rest of the public on this forum.

PTFE does not prevent leaks, assembling the joint correctly prevents leaks, Fact.

johnd what do you think an olive is for if fitted correctly there is no need for ptfe tabe. simple

If, as you say, a properly fitted joint does not leak, then there must be lots of improperly fitted joints in the world.

I've seen leaky joints done by professionals, and leaky joints done by amateurs.

If you tell me truthfully that none of your joints ever leak, then you must be a wonderful plumber and you need not use it.

For the rest of us, however, it is a simple, cheap and effective method of making a leak-tight joint.

Why would you wish to deprive those of us who are not perfect, of such a method?

Chill out Men , its only a bit of PTFE! Does it matter if one guy wants to use it and someone else does not?

Chill out Men , its only a bit of PTFE! Does it matter if one guy wants to use it and someone else does not?

I don't care what he uses, but I do not like someone giving incorrect information on a public forum.
JohnD, no one has said they do not get leaks, we all get leaks, but it is not neccessary to use PTFE to solve the problem on a compression fitting, smear of paste, and re-tighten always does the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back