People

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ashley2001

Can anyone explain why is there people on this site so determined to test people rather than give good advise ..
Is it because they don't know it and can't give a straight answer and bluff there way through by quoting calculations ...of course these are important issues but is this site designed to help others and share knowledge or to test each other?

If so I definitely got the wrong site......Responsibility no ,,,doing the job no ....simply advise and people's views rightly or wrongly

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about it.

There are some bored 'tradesmen' who sit here all day, others are bored desk jockeys who have a pop at anyone for asking a question.

Nothing to worry about.

Can anyone explain why is there people on this site so determined to test people rather than give good advise .
That depends what you think is good advice.

Is it because they don't know it and can't give a straight answer and bluff there way through by quoting calculations
Not in the case of the person you have in mind.

of course these are important issues but is this site designed to help others and share knowledge or to test each other?
It's a DIY site - some jobs are not DIY.
You don't know what you don't know.
You don't have the equipment.

If so I definitely got the wrong site.
Is there another which would advise differently?

.....Responsibility no ,,,doing the job no ....simply advise and people's views rightly or wrongly
Some disagree.

It's a forum - like talking in the pub.
There are different kinds of people.

You have to decide which ones are giving good advice or saying what you want to hear, not necessarily the same.
Whether they are pleasant or irascible is not a deciding factor.

There are some bored 'tradesmen' who sit here all day
Some have experience of clearing up the mess, disaster and results of DIY work carried out by people without the necessary skills, knowledge, experience and tools to do the work properly and safely.

A few may have seen the loss of property and injuries that can be part of the aftermath.

Nothing to worry about.
You don't worry if you do not know the hazards you are likely to create.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm well if I was in the pub and asked a question I'd give an answer if I knew ....if I didn't I would not comment ...but I do understand someone saying this is what you HAVE to do to work out an answer to your question which is fine

So you see they don't know your original question which is fine but should not comment on someone looking for responsibility it an advise site is it not ?

Is it because they don't know it and can't give a straight answer and bluff there way through by quoting calculations
Not in the case of the person you have in mind

Maybe they just have the wrong attitude

When my son asks a question I know he has full test kit and has a very good knowledge of electrical systems so I would not bother to explain how to isolate before starting work.

However the more one comes on the sites like this the more one is amazed at what people do.

Words are also a problem. Those who are trained know a competent person is some one who is better than just being skilled but so many think they are competent and they are not even instructed never mind skilled. The same with words like low voltage. We all know 230vac is low voltage but many seem to think 12v (extra low voltage) is low voltage.

So until one has worked out the level of the person one it talking to one has to treat them as complete idiots. So working out there level of skill means one can impart information much quicker.

OK there are some people who just seem to want to belittle others. I have found usually they themselves are rather lacking in knowledge and want to show off.

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

We also see how people will ask the same question again and again hoping it would seem if they ask it enough times some one will give them the answer they want to hear. This tends to make those answering reply in a manor not befitting tradesmen but one can understand why.

OK there are some people who just seem to want to belittle others. I have found usually they themselves are rather lacking in knowledge and want to show off.

Thanks my thoughts exactly

Can anyone explain why is there people on this site so determined to test people rather than give good advise ..
Is it because they don't know it and can't give a straight answer and bluff there way through by quoting calculations ...of course these are important issues but is this site designed to help others and share knowledge or to test each other?

If so I definitely got the wrong site......Responsibility no ,,,doing the job no ....simply advise and people's views rightly or wrongly

You don't know what experience or competance the person giving advice has - rather than just saying 6mm/10mm, BAS's response gave you everything you needed to get the answer and understand the assumptions and restrictions underlying it. If you can't use the calculator BAS linked you to then you aren't competant to do the work.

OK there are some people who just seem to want to belittle others.
There may be.

I have found usually they themselves are rather lacking in knowledge
As I said, keep viewing.

and want to show off.
It's a free public forum.

Referring to your original question in the other post -

Asking for help in sizing a cable shows a lack of basic knowledge and no experience indicating that you really should not be 'designing' this yourself.

Just because everyone has a screwdriver and a pair of scissors and can connect a wire to a terminal does not mean they can do any electrical work they choose.

There are many other things which need to be considered.

That someone gives links to various sites that will explain these things is intended to lead you to learn.
Should you not wish to learn then you should not do the work.

Merely answering ALL the questions asked could also be deemed irresponsible.

Oh, they like to give advice. Answering direct questions is usually the hard bit. It's often just the result of software people trying out their attempt at making a Turing machine.

Oh, they like to give advice. Answering direct questions is usually the hard bit. It's often just the result of software people trying out their attempt at making a Turing machine.

It's ok I realise people wont give answers cos there answer Is then then open to question and if get it wrong this site will Cain them cos that's all some people want to do .... And as quoted before a lot of bored tradesmen who make people pay for there advise ....should just offer to do the job instead lol

Lol asking a cable size to thousands of electricians and not getting a answer from some of them says it all for me and thanks to the ones who showed there capabilities and in a descent manner

It's because they believe you should actually know what you are doing rather than 'installing by numbers'.

Answer this, please.

Electricity is dangerous. Why do you think you should (be allowed to) fiddle with it with no knowledge?
Would you do it if there weren't numerous devices which disconnect the supply before you can kill yourself or someone else?

It's because they believe you should actually know what you are doing rather than 'installing by numbers'.

That's why he's here, to ask.

Answer this, please.

Electricity is dangerous. Why do you think you should (be allowed to) fiddle with it with no knowledge?
Would you do it if there weren't numerous devices which disconnect the supply before you can kill yourself or someone else?

He's asking for advice first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back