perfect eggs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am officially in charge of boiled eggs in our household. two and a half minutes from boiling turns out perfect boiled eggs, only to be eaten with soldiers of course.

these figures are based on large eggs. ;)

Sponsored Links
Its also effected by the type of water in your area and the freshness of the egg's and probably some more stuff that I can't think of.
boiled egg's and soldiers mmmmm nice!
don't forget to break the egg shell's afterwards, to stop witch's from using them as a boats.

depends on whether they were in the fridge beforehand, and whether they were placed in boiling water or were placed in the pan along with water straight from the tap, in which case this would depend on the ambient temperature of your tap water, also depends on thickness of the egg shell, which is dependent on many factors, diet, breed of chicken etc. Mind you that said 2.5 mins sounds about right !!

Sponsored Links
i have to say this is a tried and tested time frame, had a few failed attempts along the way.

eggs were at room temp.

placed into cold tap water.

the bubbles were pretty agitated by the time i started the count down, but not full on boiling.

Out in countryside ... double, deep orange coloured yolks, real free rangers.
The cooking.
One used bake bean can preferably Heinz, lid flapped as handle.
One egg immersed in can of covering cold water, bring to boil over Primus stove, then maintain boil for 2mins 48 secs.
To be eaten using dips - narrow strips of recently baked bread coated with Somersetshire butter.... Black stockinged WReNS better than soldiers !

It may kill you in the end but what a way to go !
:D

Richardp said:
don't forget to break the egg shell's afterwards, to stop witch's from using them as a boats.
As official shop steward of the white witches union I have to say i take offence to that statement, what's wrong with a white witch using them? ;)

empip said:

Sadly not. Egg yolks are naturally light yellow. If they're deep orange the chucks have been fed Xanthrophyll. (cousin of chlorophyll).

spelling corrected ?

[code:1]Yolk colour varies. It is almost completely dependent upon the feed the hen eats. Birds that have access to green plants or have yellow corn or alfalfa in their feed tend to produce dark yolks, due to the higher concentration of yellow pigments (mainly carotenoids) in their diet. Since commercial laying hens are confined, lighter and more uniformly coloured yolks are being produced. Yolk colour does not affect nutritive value or cooking characteristics. Egg yolks are a rich source of vitamin A regardless of colour. [/code:1]

Richardp said:
[code:1]Yolk colour varies. It is almost completely dependent upon the feed the hen eats. Birds that have access to green plants or have yellow corn or alfalfa in their feed tend to produce dark yolks, due to the higher concentration of yellow pigments (mainly carotenoids) in their diet. Since commercial laying hens are confined, lighter and more uniformly coloured yolks are being produced. Yolk colour does not affect nutritive value or cooking characteristics. Egg yolks are a rich source of vitamin A regardless of colour. [/code:1]

Indeed xanthophyll being a carotenoid.

Eddie M said:
empip said:

Sadly not. Egg yolks are naturally light yellow. If they're deep orange the chucks have been fed Xyanthrophyll. (cousin of chlorophyll).

Blimey, back in the 60's next door neighbour - an old farming widow, some hens producing about 2 dozen a week .. would she have been feeding 'em that sort of stuff? I am amazed, the little enclosure was shifted around a paddock regularly but she was no farming mogul, twas all rented out 'cept the paddock - more like a garden.
Anyhow if she was feeding 'em the funny stuff the buqqers eating it have all lived long lives - and how - 'cept me !

Is there no way this deep coloured yolk could result from a homemade feed or natural occurence within local vegetation?
:D :D :D

Course it is !

Found this by Google.

http://www.biochemj.org/bj/034/0736/0340736.pdf

From among their conclusions...
ChickenFeed.jpg

I was beginning to think after Ed's comments that the feelgood factor about the eggs could have been induced purely from the colour ... But I do remember they were very tasty eggs and very filling... The cakes made from them and real butter were scrumptious !
I guess the reality is, given my health thus far, and that plenty of those old eggs were taken on board during my formative years .. there is sfa to be concerned about and the 'feelgood' was good enough.

:D :D

Sponsored Links
Back