Plumber pipe centres, wrong - ame I being fussy

I know its no benefit to mrbg07546 now, but for anyone reading this as a part of their planning a new bathroom, kitchen or any other work there is a fundamental lesson here.

We all have great ideas when thinking about what we want to do but as another contributor mentioned the success of any project comes down to having a clear communication and understanding between all parties concerned. Its not for the fun of it that we have things such as contracts. If its worth doing, its worth writing a clear description of what you want, then discussing it with your plumber, painter, etc., before getting them to give you a written quote referring to your project description and accepting it.

Then if there are any issues later, if its in the description then it should be done accordingly. If its not then is shouldn't be done, unless you can discuss it and agree an additional payment as appropriate. There will still often be things that were unforeseen but usually they are small and can be negotiated reasonably.

As an example of this select a picture of something like a countryside scene, then get a friend or member of your family to draw it based on only your verbal description. You'll be amazed just how different their picture is compared to the one you described and this is with someone who knows you, can you imagine what it would be like if the other person was a complete stranger to you.

For any chance of success; write it down in as much detail as you can possibly come up with, include photos where appropriate, then discuss it with your contractor and invite them to ask questions. A few hours of writing and discussion can avoid months/years of disappointment and irritation.

When looking at failed projects the most common phrase used is "I told him/her what I wanted", but did he/she understand fully???

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back