potterton puma 80 dilema

I see that as totally inappropriate advice to suggest touching the fan for a DIYer who should not be opening the combustion chamber.
Tony

Does a diyer have to open the CC to spin the fan then :?: :?:
I would say yes to that, can't see how to do it otherwise.
Furthermore using WD40 in a boiler is also highly dangerous as the profellant is extremely flamable!
Tony[/quote

Please note I did advise that the boiler be switched off before applying WD40, which is highly inflamable while atomized

spraggo

Retired CORGI
WD40 is not good for fans, they always, in my experience, seize solid a few hours after spraying them.

Sponsored Links
I HAVE B****Y TOLD YOU THE FAN IS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that does not contribute to my thread. If you want to correct someone elses advice kindly shift on to a new thread and stop giving me false hope that a post may contain information relevant to me. Thanks

Is the pilot alight ?

is the control knob lined up with the full flame symbol ?

is the water low pressure light on ?

can you hear anything when you call for hot heating/water?

Is the pilot alight ? YES

is the control knob lined up with the full flame symbol ? YES

is the water low pressure light on ? NO
can you hear anything when you call for hot heating/water? Turn tap on, flow switch operates, red led lights for hot water but nothing else. When tap turned off, flowswitch returns led goes out pump turns on no increase in flame.

Engineers have run thriugh accompanying flow charts and replaced any parts pointed to as having faults, all to no avail. I have a confirmed appointment with another engineer Monday 08.00. ( honestly AGILE I have, really, straight up , no b******t.)

Thanks everyone else for you attempted assistance.

Sponsored Links
P.s never heard again from Mr Bryant, cheers AGILE.

Whilst I dont know what conversation you had with Mike, all I can say is that I expect my customers to contact me when they want a visit.

Tony

No sooner had i entered the last post when Mr Bryant contacted me and I have informed him of my, in anticipation, arranged visit of tomorrows engineer.

[quote="twgas";p="1822169would say yes to that, can't see how to do it otherwise.

Fans can be spun on most boilers by the motor cooling fan Situated OUTSIDE the CC. ;) ;)

WD40 is not good for fans, they always, in my experience, seize solid a few hours after spraying them.[/quote]

Why do you think that I advised the OP to get a new fan if OK. :confused: :confused:

Can you name even one boiler where you can reach the fan motor without opening the combustion chamber.

I think that you are misunderstanding the definition of the sealed combustion chamber. Its because its sealed to the room that DIYers should not be opening it.

Tony

Can you name even one boiler where you can reach the fan motor without opening the combustion chamber.

I think that you are misunderstanding the definition of the sealed combustion chamber. Its because its sealed to the room that DIYers should not be opening it.

Tony

Now on this particular boiler, if I undo the two screws underneath, that holds the boiler front cover on, and then slide the cover up, it will come off and reveal the pump, fan motor and a another cover with a window though which you can see the pilot light. Honestyly I thought that this second cover was the seal to the combustion chamber isn`t it. :confused: :confused: :confused: :?: :?:

Steve is correct, as I was.

The first outer cover exposes the pump and diverter valve etc.

The inner cover is the sealed combustion chamber and the fan motor is inside that.

[ I have to admit that in the interests of being right I did have to go and look at one to make sure I remembered it correctly ]

Tony Glazier

Steve is correct, as I was.
[ I have to admit that in the interests of being right I did have to go and look at one to make sure I remembered it correctly ]

Tony Glazier

I suggest you visit your opticians then. I can assure you that anything inflammable, like a fan motor ,would NOT be inside the CC. ;) :wink.
And I`m not even a RGI Engineer. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And I`m not even a RGI Engineer. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And that perhaps is the root of the problem!

As I looked at one within the last hour and I am qualified to work on gas appliances then I am surprised that you want to make false claims.

However, to allow you to make your case perhaps you would like to post a picture of a Puma showing the fan outside the combustion chamber?

As at least two RGIs have advised you of the boilers construction and you admit that you are not qualified to work on gas appliances I suggest its easier to admit you had a senior moment.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back