Putting Time lag switch on 2 way circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am a first time home buyer and looking to put a time lag switch on my downstairs hallway light.
The light has two switches. One at the door and one at the foot of the stairs.
The foot of the stairs switch is a 2 gang that controls the light at the top and the light at the bottom of the stairs.
I would like to replace the door switch with the time lag. But cant find instructions on how to do this.
Could anyone help me with instructions please? I have included a picture of the wiring. It only seems there are red and green wires, although the green doesnt seem to be attached to anything.

Attachments

• door switch wiring.jpg
    door switch wiring.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 481
Sponsored Links
Hi, you will require 2x mechanical time lag switches or one electronic one with a slave. You're existing wiring will be fine with either option.

Try TLC Electrical.

The green wire an earth and is only required if the box and or, switch are metal.
If not required put it in a connector block.

Regards,

DS

The green should be in the back box connector - but it is just a park to keep it secure.

Did you mean a time lag so that the hall light only ever stays on for the set time, or

a time lag so that it stays on for a short while when you switch off and go out?

It' is tricky to fit a timer to a two way circuit as it needs to work in conjunction with the other switch. The three red wires are live switching wires and will be connected to terminals marked 'Com' '1 Way' and '2 Way'

I don't understand what you mean by "replace it with the time lag" do you already have another product you wish to fit?

The green / yellow wire is an earth it's there in case a metal back box, or a metal light switch that requires an earth connection was fitted. As yours are insulated, it's not used at the moment.

You could wire the switch to a relay with a delay timer built in, but it's not straight forward and you would need to be electrically competent to do it. If you just want the light to stay on for a while while you leave or come in, then a PIR sensor with an adjustable timer could be used, but either of the latter two suggestions would require you to run additional wires as there is not a neutral available at the switch.

You can buy switches with a mechanical time delay that wouldn't need extra wires but the disadvantage here is that the light would either delay switching 'on' or delay switching 'off' dependent upon the position of the other light switch upstairs.

Alternatively you could wire a mechanical switch that went directly to the light in addition to the existing two switches. Press the button, and the light comes of for the preset time only regardless of the other switches.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you simply replace one or both switches with time lag ( Timed ON ) switches you run the risk of the lamp coming back ON after the time lag if someone presses the time lag switch when the lamp is alread ON and then staying ON. Not good if the lamp was ON and the time delay was pressed to turn it OFF when you were going out for evening. The lamp would come ON after the time lag and stay ON until you came home.

Keep the two as it is and add a third switch, the time lag switch, that when pressed always turn the lamp ON for the timed period. After the timed period the lamp will be as it was, ON or OFF , before the time lag switch was pressed.

Buy one of those and fit it to the wall next to the existing switch.
Connect its two terminals it to the two adjacent terminals at the bottom of the existing switch.

When the button is pressed the light will come on until the button pops out, irrespective of the settings of the other switches. I.e. while this button is active you can't turn the light off using the other switches. When the button is not active the other switches work exactly as they do now.

(I think this works for all "sensible" ways that your existing wiring could have been done; maybe others can confirm?)

Hi guys.

Thanks so much for your input so far, the response is amazing!

Sorry i should mention, im really not very savvy with electricals. Ive taught myself what i know from necessity, i cant really afford an electrician. First house etc.
This is the switch i own currently. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic...5&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=time+lag+switch&psc=1

It has a line out and line in port only (I think they are called L1 and L2)

Ideally what im looking to do is totally disconnect the switch at the bottom of the stairs. I dont want two switches to be able to control the light. I only want one switch near the front door to control the light, and instead of the 1 gang switch that is there currently. I would like to use this time lag switch above. Is this possible?

You should have enough cores to connect as you require, though you will need to work out what you have and what each colour core does.
Your switch sounds 1 way only, you can connect on its own, but still possible to parralel up with a second switch, though it wont work as TRUE 2 way, just the facility to turn ON at both points
some ideas here
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9mS...9418.pdf/RK=0/RS=ISTFSkewMWdIZLIgDkGL9FycDwY-

Ideally what im looking to do is totally disconnect the switch at the bottom of the stairs. I dont want two switches to be able to control the light. I only want one switch near the front door to control the light, and instead of the 1 gang switch that is there currently. I would like to use this time lag switch above. Is this possible?

Yes that's possible. Where you currently have a switch at the top of the stairs you'll be able to remove it and fit a blanking plate. The wires there will need to be connected together in a terminal block.

Post a photo showing the inside of the upstairs switch.

DON'T DISCONNECT ANYTHING YET!

Yes that's possible. Where you currently have a switch at the top of the stairs you'll be able to remove it and fit a blanking plate. The wires there will need to be connected together in a terminal block.

Post a photo showing the inside of the upstairs switch.

DON'T DISCONNECT ANYTHING YET!
Best not to even touch the switch at the top of the stairs, you can do what you propose, usng the switch point by the door and the switch point at the foot of the stairs

Is the one at the foot of the stairs Two switches,one side being 2 way with the upstairs, you may want to change that to a single ONE switch, perhaps use the one you take off at the front door

Yes that's possible. Where you currently have a switch at the top of the stairs you'll be able to remove it and fit a blanking plate.
There's no evidence that there is a switch at the top of the stairs which controls the downstairs light.

If it's an electronic switch that doesn't need a neutral, I wonder what type of lamps it will work with?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies again.
Ive tried to draw a diagram on paint to explain to you the switch system and explained it below.

Downstairs I have two switches controlling light 1.
These are switch 1 which is by the front door.
And switch 1+2 which is in the centre of the house at the foot of the stairs.

Switch 1+2 Controls Light 1 downstairs and Light 2 upstairs.

Switch 2 controls Light 2.

I am looking to disconnect Switch 1+ 2 from switch 1. I would like to change switch 1 from a regular 1 gang switch to a time lag switch. This is because all of the lights in the house get left on at night and i dont want that. The time Lag switch turns itself off after ten minutes.

I would like switch 1 + 2 to only control Light 2. I would like to add a time lag switch to switch 1+2 and switch 2, so they can both control light 2 but it turns off automatically after ten minutes.

Is this possible, Could you please explain how to do it? Ive included pictures of every switch for you also.

Attachments

• Floor Layout.jpg
    Floor Layout.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Switch 1 Wiring.jpg
    Switch 1 Wiring.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 488
  • Switch 1+2 Wiring.jpg
    Switch 1+2 Wiring.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 456
  • Switch 1+2 Wiring Back View.jpg
    Switch 1+2 Wiring Back View.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Switch 2 Wiring.jpg
    Switch 2 Wiring.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 585
  • Switch 2 Wiring Back View.jpg
    Switch 2 Wiring Back View.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 313

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back