Quote, how do you price it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To the plumber tradesman,

Just has a quote for a new boiler & cylinder etc, the quote just show a total price, is that how you do it or is that's the way it done these days?

I thought it normally show labour and parts etc.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
well i do both...

sometimes a full price others lab + mats

i dont know why i do it that way..i suppose it depends on the job

I had 4 quotes from plumbers

1 was verbal - Didn't pursue him as he said it may change!!
2 were wrote down just had a total price which said fit new system
1 gave the total price which included labour, parts and electrical workplus he wrote down all the parts that would be used e.g. the make of the trv's cleansing product etc

Funny thing is, the itemised quote gives a much better impression, yiu know what you're supposed to be getting. The others might be going to do an equally good job, but how can you tell?

As a customer, I like to do a detailed work spec with drawings, and let the supplier amend it, then his price is for the spec as agreed. Saves a lot of misunderstanding and possible ill-feeling.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
As a customer, I like to do a detailed work spec with drawings, and let the supplier amend it, then his price is for the spec as agreed. Saves a lot of misunderstanding and possible ill-feeling.
This is the quote I has the other day, as you says it would stop any ill-feeling and misunderstanding. I just feel it a bit high, if that's what the plumbers want to charge, fair enough I haven't got a problem with it, good luck to him. When I break it down with the boiler & cylinder plus chemical etc would be about no more than £1500 which leave £1500 labour and I'm guessing 3/4 days work or less maybe :?:

07/03/2006 ESTIMATE

Due to new building regulations introduced on 1st April 2005 Part L, by law you are now required to have thermostatic valves fitted on all radiators except where room thermostat is located and all boilers must have an energy efficiency rating of not less than 86%, (Band A or B) ie Condensing Boilers, and part J, it is legal requirement for the relevant local building control department to be notified of the installation or exchange of any heat producing appliance and associated fittings or services served by the appliance (unde Part L) withih residential dwellings.

Remove existing central heating boiler, cylinder and dispose thereof.
Supply and fit Ideal Mexico HE30 floor standing band A condensing boiler and 48"x18" foamed lagged ID cylinder with immersion heater and thermostat. Ideal Mexico are the only manufacters floor standing condensing boilers.

Run new gas supply to boiler from meter. Supply all copper tube fittings, valves etc.

All materials used are quality guaranteed, Gas and Water Board approved in the interest of health and safety.

Option 1 Ideal Mexico HE30..................£3075.00

Option 2 Vaillant Ecomax Pro 28...........£2775.00

This price includes injecting the heating system with a Fernox cleanser prior to draining the heating system, and flushing out all sludge and debris, before installing new boiler and refilling with Fernox system protection inhibiter.

You will also receive a certificate from Corgi under the gas work notification scheme which will become instrumental in the sale of your property coming into force from 2007 when the Home Information Pack becomes compulsory

Professional image, and his price will include a proportion of time visiting sites and preparing estimates who don't take him up ;) i dare say you could get him to specify a warranty

Ahhh! the price maybe about right then, it's just not knowing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back