Raising White Goods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I have a washing machine and a tumble dryer that I would like to raise off the floor about 550mm, adjacent to each other, to make it more easy for me to access them.

I have looked on ebay at the ready made plinths which are too low, seen guys build them out of timber but I reckon I'd be better building mine out of breeze walls with slab tops, with three walls coming out of the existing wall (keyed in with a wallplate) and some kind of concrete or stone slab top.

The space underneath would be used for storing linen baskets.

I need to move all services too: power, H&C water (yes it's a hot and coldfill WM!) and waste.

Any hints guys please?

Sponsored Links
Yes it would be possible to build out of masonry but it would be bulky.

You may be better off forming the lid out of DIY floor beams i.e. half a dozen pcc lintels or similar with a screed finish. I suppose a 3' x 2' council slab will have a similar effect but I'm not sure if it would be man enough for the hammering from a spinning washing machine.

Je suis le roi de plus de genie!

No, I like things to be solid. I'm not sure a timber plinth would be.

Sponsored Links
a frame made of floor joists with 18mm floor ply on top would be at least twice as strong as you need.

Yes, and timber has a bit of 'give', which would be a good idea for a vibrating washing machine.

The denser heavier material will be much better suited in terms of vibration and noise. You are correct to think along these lines.

However the bulk will be a handful both during installation and aesthetically speaking.

Find a balance and you've cracked it.

go even furthur,
use some jablite ply over the top,skirt round the face.
hey presto floating plinth.

Why does the title of this thread sound like an alternative, Alabama adoption agency?

:LOL:

I've thought of doing this myself, raising it about 18", how high are you thinking of siting it??

Ignore that comment, I've just read the OP, 550mm/22"

Wouldn't it be easier to dig a hole in front of the appliances? :D

Seriously, I'd have thought timber - absorbs rather than transmits vibration; easier to handle and adjust in the build, if you are a bit infirm and a non-expert; and self-healing to a degree, compared to masonry (unless reinforced).
Plus, I reckon it'd be cheaper too - pcc lintels are surely more expensive than a 3 x 3 fence post?

Sponsored Links
Back