Ravenheat RSF 84E boiler will not light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an old Ravenheat. I believe it is an RSF 84E. I renovated the whole house which took about 18months. I replaced most piping and all the rads. All the pipes to the boiler were severed early in the build and I didn't think of draining the boiler :eek: . The boiler remained in this situation for at least twelve months. After reconnecting the pipes and rewiring, the boiler would not fire up. When I sought opinion of local installers, I had two opposing views:

1: Change the boiler as it will be suffering from major corrosion and will clog the system since it was not drained before shutting off and severing the pipes.

2: service the boiler as they are easy to service and corrosion does not happen internally in such circumstances.

I went with option 2 as all money was spent on the rest of the house.

After cleaning the pilot injectors the boiler initially fired up well and was running for a good few months but then we had the diverter valve problem, cold tap water OK but no but heating.

I let the heating run for three straight days on a medium setting to avoid damp in the property, with out repairing the diverter valve since the heating was not affected. When I returned, there was no pilot and the boiler was switched off.

So pilot now will not light, you can hear the fan turning on and the clicking noise coming from the electrode. Would appreciate some genuine advice as to whether I should repair this boiler which was functioning OK before as I am really skint at the moment :cry: or should I bite the bullet and replace the old boy. Also, what could be the likely causes of the pilot not igniting? Is it the jets again or could it be diverter/pump related?

Thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
replace it with something decent like a glowworm ultracom or flexicom. Otherwise you will just throw money at it til it eventually dies.If your a bit skint Gloworm also do the betacom a 28 or 24 kw for £600 . 2 or 3 repairs on the ravenheap could come to that

Thanks for the reply Murf. I've not really had much problems before and I can tackle the repair my self. Parts are cheaply availble from Ebay. Do you still think its not worth giving it a shot?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Murf. I've not really had much problems before and I can tackle the repair my self. Parts are cheaply availble from Ebay. Do you still think its not worth giving it a shot?

It does not sound to me as if you can repair it.

In any case its not a permanent pilot boiler and just lights the gas when it needs to.

There can be many causes of faults and some gas related. I would say you need a competent engineer. Many dont like Ravens!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back