RCBO - ??? - Wylex Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

To start, I don't have any intentions of doing this myself, I just want some clarification so I don't get fleeced when it comes to getting the work done,

I currently have a Wylex 10 way split load consumer unit, it's not the latest 17th edition version with an RCD on both sides, it's a couple of year old model, with RCD protection only on the side which the sockets are connected to. However, all 6 ways are being used on the protected side of the unit, but only 4 are being used on the unprotected side of the lights.

Plan is I'm getting a small hot tub put in the garden, and I need a direct feed with a 20 amp c type breaker connected to an rcd.

as the RCD side of the board is full I see a couple of options; but I don't know what is the best solution?

a; I'm wondering if I had an 20 amp, C type RCBO installed into the main board on the non RCD protected side, does this RCBO act as an RCD as well? therefore not requiring me to go down the route of option B or C below.

b; I get a small 2 way consumer unit (like a garage one) with RCD added which is connected to one of the spare MCB's on the non RCD protected side of the main consumer unit.

c; I get a completely new main consumer unit installed which has capacity for what I need.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Paul

Sponsored Links
All three ideas will work, C being the most expensive.
However, are you sure you'd want to have the RCD in the house?
Is the hot tub open air or in a cabin?
Will you need lights?
Maybe the RCD would be better in the cabin?
The sparky might start waffling on about 'exporting earths' and stuff.

Get someone round, listen to his proposal and post it here if you're not sure.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the irony of climate-change induced adverse weather affecting your enjoyment of a completely unnecessary item which contributes to climate change is lost on you.

I wonder if the irony of climate-change induced adverse weather affecting your enjoyment of a completely unnecessary item which contributes to climate change is lost on you.

And exactly how many of the items that we use day-to-day could we really get by without? If the guy wants a hot tub then let him have a hot tub.

And exactly how many of the items that we use day-to-day could we really get by without?
Some.

Quite a few.

And in extremis probably most, as our children and grandchildren will find out.

But some are more unnecessary than others.

If the guy wants a hot tub then let him have a hot tub.
No, not until we get personal carbon allowances. Then if he wants to heat a big open tank of water for fun instead of heating his house, or eating cooked meals, he can do what he likes.

holly crap, the bloke wants a hot tub, not open a coal fired power station.

Just for that I think we should ALL get hot tubs... Global warming is a myth

My garden gets quite cold in winter. So, I'm thinking of installing some radiators in the flowerbeds and some under-grass heating. Since this will all be wet areas, do I need to run an earth lead back to the CU? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back