Re-doing kitchen - should I replace and move my boiler?

wouldn't trust that one either.

why? how many version 3's have you changed and why?

i've only put in 4 i've advised to contact baxi/pot on every one for perhaps a year because its far cheaper for the customer. + if they kick up a stink it helps since 'watchdog'.
1 of the 4 failed & they followed my advice. replaced free.

Sponsored Links
I never recommend that a perfectly serviceable boiler be scrapped just to save a bit of gas.... You would have to save a lot of gas to recover the price of the install. But if a boiler is at the end of it's life then it is wise to replace it. Only the guy who comes to see your boiler can comment but the Suprema is a pretty simple old thing but as has been said the circuit boards can be a pain

i've only put in 4 i've advised to contact baxi/pot on every one for perhaps a year because its far cheaper for the customer. + if they kick up a stink it helps since 'watchdog'.

what? 4 in total? versions1, 2 and 3?

you do realise that the watchdog witchhunt was entirely to do with versions 1 and 2?

if you do realise this and its only version 3 and you have only installed 4 then i dont think its really fair to comment on the reliability based on your one failure. ive put in hundreds and only know of three failures, all of them thought the boiler was at a different temperature than it was.

The airing cupboard does not back onto an external wall - just the bedroom.

Is that going to restrict me from putting a combi in there?

Could I just put one where the old one is? The vent is already there...

Sponsored Links

you do realise that the watchdog witchhunt was entirely to do with versions 1 and 2?

if you do realise this and its only version 3 and you have only installed 4 then i dont think its really fair to comment on the reliability based on your one failure. ive put in hundreds and only know of three failures, all of them thought the boiler was at a different temperature than it was.

you only asked me how many version 3s id changed.
personally i have not replaced any, as i said.
1 out of 4 has failed (to my knowledge). thats a minimum of a 25% failure.
i wont touch the things now for the reasons i outlined.
obviously i changed countless numbers of the earlier versions.

you only asked me how many version 3s id changed.
personally i have not replaced any, as i said.
1 out of 4 has failed (to my knowledge). thats a minimum of a 25% failure.
i wont touch the things now for the reasons i outlined.
obviously i changed countless numbers of the earlier versions.

fair enough, i misunderstood.

25% may be bad if thats the failure rate i was getting but i dont think a study of four is a fair amount.

with a version 3 pcb the suprima is a good boiler but it will never regain much of a reputation with off the handle remarks about reliability for something that isnt even in the boiler anymore.

Assuming that I would be looking over £2k for a new combi plus installation?
You should need to pay any more than £2k including installation. Decent combi boilers are under £1000.

How much more efficient are newer boilers? Will they justify themselves in terms of gas use compared to my present one?
The Suprima 80 has a Sedbuk efficiency rating of 77% (grade E). New boilers have to be grade A which is over 90% efficient.

An improvement of 13% might not sound much, but your boiler, which could be 10 years old, is now probably about 50-60% efficient.

You should need to pay any more than £2k including installation. Decent combi boilers are under £1000.

Should that be not more than £2k or expect to pay more than £2k?

I have had a quote this morning for £3500 (max quote he reckon more likely £3200)- than included running new gas pipework from mains (ie taking up part of the floor) and putting a Worcester 28 in the cupboard.

I have had another guy in (who was working on the house opposite)

He measured all my pressures to see if I could get away without new pipe from mains - reckons I can. Measurements at old boiler are:

Nothing on: 21mb
everything on: 17mb (was told I need min 16mb)
Just cooker on: 21mb
just heating on: 18mb

At mains box:.....
everything on: 19mb

Annoyingly they would not give me a quote and just said they will beat anyone else.

Now I am totally confused!

If I'm going to do this then I need it doing soon as I am supposed to have a new kitchen and floor in the next few weeks!

Any price guidance appreciated.

Anyone recommend a heating engineer in Reading area?

I'll bet he can beat any quote... The maximum pressure drop between the meter and the boiler should be 1mB.. NO MORE. Assuming that you have 20mB at the meter working pressure, then you have 2mB drop already. Even at 19mB you are just in

A combi does require a fair bit more gas than your little potterton

I'll bet he can beat any quote... The maximum pressure drop between the meter and the boiler should be 1mB.. NO MORE. Assuming that you have 20mB at the meter working pressure, then you have 2mB drop already. Even at 19mB you are just in

A combi does require a fair bit more gas than your little potterton

Hmmmm......from that am I to assume that it is likely I will need new pipework in?

They did some sums and reckoned that the Potterton was pushing out about 22kw.

I have just had half my day wasted waiting for two gas engineers to turn up for quotes - then when I called to ask where they are they told me they couldn't turn up......grrrrr.......why is it so hard to find people!?

[/b]

I would say that you will definately require new gas pipe work, as if it is sized correctly you shouldn't be getting all these varying pressures depending what appliances are on.

Forget the chap over the road. He may be cheaper but you will probably have to supply hay for his horse :rolleyes:

Great to have the input everyone - its very difficult to not be taken for a ride on these things.

All I need to do is somehow get people to come round to give me quotes!

I know its difficult to do but can anyone even give me a ball park figure of what I should be paying?

Work to be done:

Lay 15m of pipe under chipboard floor
Supply worcester/valient 28kw combi
put flue in through wall
fit boiler to wall
remove (I can dispose) of old boiler, water tank and header tank
drainage pipe through wall

My only quote so far was 'up to £3500' for 4 days work

My budget for entire flat is £15k and I have white goods, carpets, a new kitchen and oak floors to squeeze out of that!

Without a site visit it is very hard to give a rough price, but what the hell, I'll go for it.

Change to a Vaillant 831 very approx cost is £2200-£2400 + VAT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back