Re-doing kitchen - should I replace and move my boiler?

D_Hailsham wrote;

You should need to pay any more than £2k including installation. Decent combi boilers are under £1000.

Are you an installer, D_Hailsham? I see you give advice on boiler installation pricing.

In my opinion (as a boiler installer) the Gas4You quote is far more typical ballpark.

Regarding the Suprima, it was a design to make a boiler fit in a very small footprint, which in it's day was quite ambitious.

Consequently, lots were installed because they would fit inside wall kitchen units etc.

The problem with the design is that a small temperature increase in the small casing can do a lot of damage, so Potterton had to design a system that would work on very close tolerances to control the temperature within safe limits.

But every installation is different as we all know; flow rates can be variable with TRVs, dodgy pipework, failing pumps, pumping over etc.

So the Suprima has always worked on a bit of a knife edge. If they expand the temperature tolerance, the boiler won't keep locking out but could go postal. If they make the tolerance tighter, system defects will cause nuisance lockouts.

And then there is the PCB itself. As components get older and degrade, the tolerances change. Hopefully the version 4 will be better in service; but this is all a 'polishing a turd' exercise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back