Re-thinking Yale HSA6300 Sensor Locations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm using the HSA6300 which I initially put up in haste a year ago due to some goings on in the area and its done its job in that (thankfully) there has been no incident yet everytime we've forgotten about the alarm we've managed to inadvertantly set it off.

The HSA6021 PIR detecting has never seemed great and through some recent googling id never picked up on the fact that apparently it works better walking across rather than towards. I'm pretty sure of a better location but its going be pointing directly towards a window maybe 5meters away, is it really that bad?

Also, is there any pointers on mounting the HSA6010 to a sliding door? currently I have it mounted above in the middle so that the contact slides away from the sensor but I've notced that opening the door fast can cause the pickup to be sketchy recently.

thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Whilst detectors shouldn't be in direct sunlight ideally, facing a window may not be a major issue. It's difficult to say with any degree of certainty as not done a site survey, I suspect you may be okay.

However you have to take into account is the sunlight likely to hit the detector at certain points of the day when the system is set and at different times of the year when the sun is a different position.

The contact doesn't activate when the magnet is removed quickly?

How are you testing the unit, to know its not functioning as well as you would like?

The contact doesn't activate when the magnet is removed quickly?

How are you testing the unit, to know its not functioning as well as you would like?

Quite simply I have the patio sliding door set to entry and the side covered gate set to burgler and a few times when ive been late, the first to leave and forgotten to disarm ive flung open the patio door and then set the whole alarm off going through the side gate which means I got there with out setting the entry off when going through the patio.

Dan

hmm

so the system is armed
you open the patio door the entry should start as the system is armed ( I am guessing you can normally here this if it starts when you open the patio door).

You then get to the side gate and walk through a burglar zone and the alarm goes off.

Even if the entry has been started (how long does it take to get the side gate).

as the alarm would sound if a burglar zone has been set off even if the entry had been started.

You would need the side gate to be inhibited zone, so that if the entry was triggered and then the side gate the alarm wouldnt go off.

the inhibited zone would go off if the entry had not been started.

without going through the programing or doing a controlled test, I cant say for sure that's whats happening but its sounds like it might be.

Sponsored Links
hmm

so the system is armed
you open the patio door the entry should start as the system is armed ( I am guessing you can normally here this if it starts when you open the patio door).

You then get to the side gate and walk through a burglar zone and the alarm goes off.

Even if the entry has been started (how long does it take to get the side gate).

as the alarm would sound if a burglar zone has been set off even if the entry had been started.

You would need the side gate to be inhibited zone, so that if the entry was triggered and then the side gate the alarm wouldnt go off.

the inhibited zone would go off if the entry had not been started.

without going through the programing or doing a controlled test, I cant say for sure that's whats happening but its sounds like it might be.

thanks for your help.

yes, id be able to hear the count down as its not strictly an entry point as the gate is on burgler so the count down is purely for forgetting to disarm and has worked in the past, just more unreliable when the door is opened quickly. on this particular occasion my wife would have also heard the count down.

As for timing after exiting the premisis via the back door to going through the secured side gate on burgler maybe 40seconds and the entry count down is half of that.

I just curious as given my enlightenment about the PIR's i wasnt sure if the door contacts are more reliable if it was being vertically pulled away or horozontally slid away.

Dan

It is usual to have a door contact as your Entry sensor.

It is usual to have a door contact as your Entry sensor.

in this case it's a back door behind with enclosed gates which are set to burglar, the entry is purely there for forgetting the alarm is on when going to the shed rather than entering the property.

Dan

because of the way the door sensor works, it only knows if a magnet is adjacent, or not adjacent. It doesn't know or care how quickly the magnet on the door was moved. When the door is fully shut the magnet and the sensor must be together. Passing each other will not do. Why don't you put it on the frame jamb and the edge of the door?

A PIR however, does not easily recognise someone walking directly towards or away from it, so is best set at the side of a window, or in th corner on the side wall, pointing across the window, so anyone entering or leaving will move across the field of view.

In the wireless sytem, a PIR should not be pointing at the same point of entry that a door sensor protects, or they may transmit at the same time and block each other. It is OK to have a PIR pointing across a corridor or path that will be followed before or after coming through the door, so there will be a couple of seconds delay. For example in a hall, the PIR can often cover a window and the stairs or hallway, but not be pointed at the door which has a door sensor on it.

I can't visualise your setup.

thanks, I get the not being able to visualise but the info is great for helping me figure out what to do.

I had it on the jam at first but had moved it a few times trying to combat an initial install issue that turned out to be the metal curtain rod and just never moved it back so I'll give that a go.

Do you know the optimal mounting height for a PIR sensor and does that change if placed in somewhere narrow? i.e a hallway (178cm)

Dan

It depends on the type / make of detector, this information will be shown in the installation instryctions for that particular detector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back