Redundant cable / just got a shock / what next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Replacing my pull cord operated fan for a timer fan run from the lights. Popped off the Switched FCU in the bedrrom and found two wires as you would expect. Removed the cables from the terminals marked "out", left in the feed going to the "in" terminals. Been up in the loft trying to pull the cable through but it won't budge, probably clipped. I just touched the wires I removed from the "out" terminals and I got a SHOCK!!! Only a very slight one but enough to make me jump :)

How is this possible. Because the feed to the FCU and the output to the old fan are side by side through the rubber grommet and up into the loft, is it possible the "out" cable is somehow picking up a small current from the "in" cable?

As I cannot pull through the old cable going to the old, what can I do with it?

Sponsored Links
Better to isolate at the consumer unit.......You should prove 'dead' before playing with cables.......most people get a belt from making assumptions. How do you know the slight shock was not 240v? I've had belt with dry dusty fingers and it wasn't too bad.........glad I hadn't just washed my hands. Think you should do a little more testing before you start disconnecting cables

Capacitor in the fan?

The fan is disconnected, has been for several months. Another strange thing, before I got the shock I tried to pull the fan cable back up through the ceiling (via the loft). It wouldn't, but when I then checked the FCU, the cable going to the "IN" had been pulled up. It's as if the feed was going to the "out" and the fan cable was going to the "IN"!

Sponsored Links
Capacitor in the fan?

Decided not to touch it......leave this one for a pro.

RF lighting, notice you are in Leeds. Fancy a job in Morley. Connect up fan to either FCU or direct to lighting circuit and check / correct some downlighters some so called bathroom fitters installed!

I'm not a registered domestic installer I'm afraid :(

Bummer - nerver mind. Do you know / recommend any electricians in Morley (or near)? Very reluctant to get more tradesman without recommendations after the fiasco we had with the plumbers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back