Bathroom pull cord change to switch

The areas round bath or shower are still prescribed in great detail- scary thing is (according to the pretty pics in my On Site Guide-17th Edition) I can put a standard wall switch just above a washbasin and be completely compliant (as long as the basin is far enough away from the bath or shower). Given shortage of cat-swinging room in the shower room I'm doing at the mo it's going to be a pull switch (ceiling is 2400 so hurrah) with the FCU for the fan next to it.

Sponsored Links
You don't stand in the basin.
True but good odds I'd be hitting the switch with wet hands- low risk agreed but I've got scenarios for my shuffle off this mortal coil and none of them include 'getting a belt from a light switch in a bathroom' :)

Put in one of those fancy switches where you touch a tile to operate the light. I fitted a load in a house and they work great. The client had huge wall tiles so had circles water jet cut out of them and matching circles cut from different tiles to identify the 'buttons'.

Sponsored Links
Put in one of those fancy switches where you touch a tile to operate the light. I fitted a load in a house and they work great. The client had huge wall tiles so had circles water jet cut out of them and matching circles cut from different tiles to identify the 'buttons'.
Very Bladerunner- nice thought but if they cost more than a tenner I'll not be doing it :)

That'll be a no then. They really are great though!
Ta for the link- they do look kinda cool, might have a little think.Do you happen to know if there's a proper relay in the box or is it using a triac or SSR? (Lovely weasel words 'will switch most loads' in the blurb :) )

Proper relay, and with the dimmer version there is a proper relay output for fan control as well as a dimmed output for the lights IIRC. They are really well designed, and are made here in Devon! The customer service is great too and they will answer any technical questions, or questions about installing them.

The only downside is I had to fit an enclosure with dinrail terminals by each one and a multi core flex from the controller to the enclosure as the terminals only accept one wire.

Though in various cases it's allowed, I think a wall switch in a bathroom looks naff - just my gut reaction.
What is there about a bathroom which makes a wall switch look naff that doesn't make wall switches in any other room in the house look it?

Got no problem with the look of a wall switch in a bathroom, just don't fancy the combination of damp hands and IP20 (at best) switchgear built to a price in the far East. Pullswitches are a bore but also a significant risk reduction measure and eliminate tiresome conversations about zones with BCO (as well as not featuring in mortal coil scenarios mentioned above. Excluding Conservative MPs and oranges of course :) )

Oh yeah, in spacious bathrooms as featured on EVERY ADVERT ON THE SODDING TELLY they're fine. When you have to jam bath, bog and basin in 2m x 2m they're a bit too close to porcelain for my comfort

True but good odds I'd be hitting the switch with wet hands- low risk agreed but I've got scenarios for my shuffle off this mortal coil and none of them include 'getting a belt from a light switch in a bathroom' :)
Do you have neither towels nor sense?

My kitchen is full of things which if improperly grasped or operated could cause me serious harm, and on my driveway is something which could do ditto to others as well.

Why, when it comes to an electrical switch, do you want to be protected against consequences arising from a total lack of thought and care on your part?

Do you have neither towels nor sense?

My kitchen is full of things which if improperly grasped or operated could cause me serious harm, and on my driveway is something which could do ditto to others as well.

Why, when it comes to an electrical switch, do you want to be protected against consequences arising from a total lack of thought and care on your part?
A valid point- maybe I'm becoming risk-averse in my old age. Yes I do dry my hands before exiting the bathroom so the risk of getting a belt from a wall switch is minimal- same as the risk in the kitchen, thinking about it- funny how I always hit that switch with a knuckle rather than a finger, funny 2 how I've never really noticed that bit of behaviour til about 5 minutes ago. Maybe it is an age thing- in every house I've lived in the bathroom light switch has either been a pull cord or been outside the door. Hmmmmm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back