Regulations

Sponsored Links
To make the abbreviation longer than necessary - ah, of course.
[I reckon we might as well use this thread to discuss off-topic issues, since the on-topic discussion is going absolutely nowhere!]

To be 'serious', I suspect that the main reason for the "o" is that it makes the words much more easily spoken ("conv", "def" etc. would at best be untidy to verbalise within a sentence) - any vowel other than "e" (since a terminal "e" is usually silent in English), or even a "y", would probably have achieved much the same.

IIRC (it's always switched off!) the 'predictive text' in my ancient ('dumb') mobile does suggest abbreviations without the terminal vowel (e.g. "conv" & "def") - which is fine 'in writing (e.g. in a text message).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suspect iggifer might be closer to the truth in that it is short for 'convosation' and 'defonately'.
Possibly, but I do think the terminal vowel aids verbalisation - try saying aloud "I'm def going to have a conv this arv" and "I'm defo going to have a convo this arvo".

Kind Regards, John

Seriously what the **** :/ taking things way too far here can anyone help me other than the people that have big issues with me ?

Are you being serious and you won't judge me? If so I would be greatfull? Can I use short text ? And can anyone else that don't want to help u watch please ?

Where's the unwatch button. Ahh yes….phew…..goodbyeo
I think that I've only ever suggested to the mods that they should consider locking a thread because it had degenerated into totally off-topic nonsense (often with some abuse thrown in for good measure) and hence was clearly 'going nowhere'. I don't recall ever having suggested the same because the on-topic content was clearly 'going nowhere' - but ...... !!

Kind Regards, John

Having read the previous 10+ pages of this and other thread, the deal is:

Existing circuit for the upstairs light is a borrowed neutral situation, with the line at the downstairs switch, neutral upstairs and 2 strappers between the two.
Downstairs switch is a 2 gang (hall and upstairs), and upstairs was also a 2g switch (landing and bathroom).
Upstairs has/will be changed for a 1g for landing and separate 1g for bathroom.
The dimmers are Varilight master/slave efforts, with the master downstairs as it's a 2 gang plate. Slave upstairs as a 1 gang.

The wiring required is pretty much as in the drawing posted multiple times already, and a 3C+E cable needs to be installed between the upstairs & downstairs switches.
The only difference is that the square junction box shown in the drawing is actually the ceiling rose for the landing light, a separate junction box is not required.

Other useless facts include:
Some 'electrician' person spent 3 days achieving nothing because they were totally incompetent.
The circuit won't have any RCD, so one must be installed, unless the new cables will be installed surface clipped or in surface trunking.
The junction box in the loft is a mess and should also be replaced, but this is a separate unrelated job, and not required to get these dimmers installed.
Volt sticks are used to confirm something is live - NOT to confirm it is dead. There is a huge difference.

I presume 'no' because ...

image-jpg.81605

... the downstairs light should be connected to Load and Neutral.

(The landing light part is correct.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back