Right angle chuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone recommend a decent right angle chuck adaptor.

For an Xmas present

I'm after a decent sized chuck and for drilling under floor boards.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
All the one's I bought from the usual culprits recently lasted less than 10 minutes under any serious load. Don't know what to suggest except either find a real one somewhere or give the person about three of them so they don't have to stop in the middle of a serious job to get in the car.

After being similarly disappointed with several over the years, I eventually gave up and bought this...

View media item 96661
Edit: Flameport beat me to it!

Another edit: **** me, I've just seen how much they are now! They've gone up a bit :eek:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All the one's I bought from the usual culprits recently lasted less than 10 minutes under any serious load. Don't know what to suggest except either find a real one somewhere or give the person about three of them so they don't have to stop in the middle of a serious job to get in the car.
Similar experiences here, so I've never assumed that one will last for much more than one job! It's the plastic/nylon gears (and often also bearings) that are the problem - there must be some, somewhere, that have metal ones?

Kind Regards, John

After being similarly disappointed with several over the years, I eventually gave up and bought this...**** me, I've just seen how much they are now! They've gone up a bit :eek:
Indeed. They've always been pretty ridiculously expensive, and I've never really understood why - maybe just the relative small size of the market?

Kind Regards, John

Similar experiences here, so I've never assumed that one will last for much more than one job! It's the plastic/nylon gears (and often also bearings) that are the problem - there must be some, somewhere, that have metal ones?

Kind Regards, John

It looks as if Milwaukee do some fairly serious all metal ones but it also looks as if they fit specific models of Milwaukee drill only...

for drilling under floor boards.

As said, the adapters aren't that great. The quarter inch hex chuck ones get incredibly hot and can't cope with much torque either without the bearings bursting out!!

If it's pretty much for solely drilling through joists, then how about a set of Armeg stubby wood beavers instead?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161462295838

In the chuck of a modern, more compact 'normal' drill the overall length will still fit between joists. Just measured one in my 18v Bosch GSR 18vli and it's just under 28cm for drill and bit together. They chew through joists in seconds compared to flat bits, but you will need a drill with a fair amount of torque for the larger sizes.

Gaz :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
How much robin ?

Hummm. I think I will give it a miss then.

Just thought it would be a useful tool to have. Beams are old / tough so no point having anything flimsy.

I've really tried to give the Makita angle drill a fair chance. But my DHP458 has waaaay more torque than the angle drill. If I'm lucky I can just blast through joists/noggins on the faster speed, and with the Bosch selfcut bits, it leaves a relatively clean exit wound.

It also fits between 400 centre joists quite nicely, without even using stubby bits.

It looks as if Milwaukee do some fairly serious all metal ones but it also looks as if they fit specific models of Milwaukee drill only...
Unfortunately a lot of the current production Milwaukee stuff has been cheapened and production moved to you-know-where. :( I have a right-angle adapter with a Milwaukee drill kit which is getting on for 50 years old and it was built like the proverbial tank. I doubt the current ones are anything like as tough.

I have one of the Milwaukee Super Hawg 110V right angle drills, it's powerful as f***!

Tried a right angle chuck for exactly that job (holes through ancient rockhard joists) last week- dismal failure. Flat bits were were going nowhere (couldn't keep enough pressure on them), couldn't hold the drill still with the torque involved on the new shiny quad hole cutters http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow.../sd1120/Quad+Cutter+Wood+Drill+Bit+Set/p55369. But did find that said hole cutters worked ever so well on the end of my cheapo Erbauer impact driver (bit has hex end, driver plus bit = short enough to get between joists). No idea how long they'll last but done 20 holes so far & it seems fine- v easy pulling cables through as well :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back