Right angle chuck

Purely for plasterboard though, it wouldn't have a hope in hell with ply or MDF, because it does really just chew it's way through, rather than cutting its way through.
I don't doubt that it would work fine in plasterboard - don't forget that oscillating saws were originally invented (and continue to be used for) cutting plaster casts in hospital plaster rooms, and cutting skulls in hospital operating theatres and autopsy rooms - for all of which purposes the advantage is the low risk of damaging underlying tissues (as compared with a rotating, rather than oscillating, blade). Plasterboard is therfore close to being the 'ideal' material to cut with such a tool..

However, I'm confused about the way this discussion has evolved - I thought we were talking about making (fairly small) holes through (hard) wooden joists, not cutting (relatively large) holes in plasterboard??

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I got this one from screwfix for £20..... I've had it for about a year and never struggled to go through any joists in my 1930s house. Now it's only £9, it's an absolute bargain!
I think you must either be very lucky or have very soft joists! Like others have reported here, I've been through umpteen of those (and similar) in my time. Indeed, I now usually buy the cheapest I can find, since I know that even relatively expensive ones will not usually do more than 'a hole or five' without falling apart!

Kind Regards, John

I thought we were talking about making (fairly small) holes through (hard) wooden joists, not cutting (relatively large) holes in plasterboard??

I think the OP had gotten his answer by the end of page one, that the angle adapters aren't great and that he should try alternatives like stubby bits or a proper right angle drill. It went off on a tangent when someone mentioned angle grinders!

Gaz :)

Sponsored Links
I had in mind something like this with a depth of a holesaw, more rounded or circular and teeth that wont bind up. Maybe I didnt think it through :)

ae235
Maybe I am the one who's not thinking it through well enough, because I can'se see how one would cut 'a hole' with anything like that!

Kind Regards, John
4 cuts.

Maybe I am the one who's not thinking it through well enough, because I can'se see how one would cut 'a hole' with anything like that!
4 cuts.
As I recently wrote, I thought that the discussion was still 'on-topic'. If one tried to cut a hole in a joist (rather than a bit of plasterboard!) using four cuts with such a tool, the cuts would probably not be deep enough to create 'a hole' and, in any event, there would be little, if anything, of the joist left!

Kind Regards, John

can anyone recommend a decent right angle chuck adaptor.

For an Xmas present

I'm after a decent sized chuck and for drilling under floor boards.

Thanks.

I got this one from screwfix for £20.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/angled-drill-chuck-10mm/39590

I've had it for about a year and never struggled to go through any joists in my 1930s house. Now it's only £9, it's an absolute bargain!

Excellent. Thank you so much :D.

Bit of a stock level problem, but I will try and get one on order.

Not always the case, but usually that happens when they discontinue something. Generally, if you can't get it delivered that's bad news.

Im sure back in the 80's you could get an angle chuck that went right over the old fashioned key type chuck and clamped on your driill, rather than these new spindle type things

Im sure back in the 80's you could get an angle chuck that went right over the old fashioned key type chuck and clamped on your driill, rather than these new spindle type things
Indeed - those were the days when most drills had 'collars' for the attachment of accessories, weren't they?

Kind Regards, John

Yes john :)
I recently cleared some ones shed, and there was a drill stand to clamp your drill as a bench grinder, still with the wheels all in the original box

those were the days when most drills had 'collars' for the attachment of accessories

Like this RHA-50 from bosch...

RHA-50_500x330%20r117684v33.png

But it's so expensive, you might as well just buy a proper right angle cordless drill to suit whichever brand and style of batteries that you already own.

Gaz :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back