Rsj

As above, it's highly unlikely you will have a structural problem.
For complete peace of mind, though, you need to first get the SE on board to provide the figures. If he's happy, then apply for your regularization, but it will cost.

I did a regularization in Manchester just over a year ago, and they charged 250% of the normal fee. Their normal fee for a job such as yours would be £225 (assuming under £5K). So you do the maths; unfortunately it's not gonna be cheap.

Sponsored Links
As above, it's highly unlikely you will have a structural problem.
For complete peace of mind, though, you need to first get the SE on board to provide the figures. If he's happy, then apply for your regularization, but it will cost.

I did a regularization in Manchester just over a year ago, and they charged 250% of the normal fee. Their normal fee for a job such as yours would be £225 (assuming under £5K). So you do the maths; unfortunately it's not gonna be cheap.

Thanks. I think that I'm looking at about £500 for SE and regularization. Then be risk of having to rip the bugger out if it isn't big enough but going off that google pic does the support look sufficient enough? I know it's hard for you to comment as we don't know the scale. The 2 beams seem to be supporting the outside wall. The bathroom is above the kitchen. The thing is, thinking about it my patio doors have a longer span and there's just a lintel supporting that side of the outside wall (spare bedroom above) and they were Fensa registered.

You'd prolly get an SE cheaper than that if you give a good ring round and can provide all the info. Typical LA fee down here for such a job would be £250.

Sponsored Links
@OP; one point you have to be careful about if sending calcs to the council is this;

the beam and bearings may well be OK, but there may still be the question of the width of the opening relative to the wall it is in (if it was a former external wall).

If the opening is judged too wide, the council's checking engineer can ask for further justification to ensure adequate overall stability. So don't jump into anything until your SE is satified it's OK.

(Personally I'd leave things as they are - why open an expensive can of worms?).

@OP; one point you have to be careful about if sending calcs to the council is this;

the beam and bearings may well be OK, but there may still be the question of the width of the opening relative to the wall it is in (if it was a former external wall).

If the opening is judged too wide, the council's checking engineer can ask for further justification to ensure adequate overall stability. So don't jump into anything until your SE is satified it's OK.

(Personally I'd leave things as they are - why open an expensive can of worms?).

I know I think the issue is that I'm worried something could go wrong but I know beams are in place. I see what you're saying. There is such a high risk of me having a battle on my hands to get it approved. I think I've just too much on the internet re pad stones, beams needing to be bolted together etc, ive created the worry, my missus couldn't give two hoots!
I will have a think. I may just seek an SE to put my mind at rest and the council can stay none the wiser. We arent thinking of moving for a good few years anyway. People didnt bat an eyelid pre 1985!

I would stop worrying about it. That's a small span like and the loads are minimal. The smallest UB on the table would probably be more than enough. And it's unlikely you need any more pad stone than a decent brick.

I would stop worrying about it. That's a small span like and the loads are minimal. The smallest UB on the table would probably be more than enough. And it's unlikely you need any more pad stone than a decent brick.

I know i'll send myself crazy. Now where's that forum on psychiatric help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back