Sexy burglar alarm..?

Sponsored Links
I actually got to the point, today, where I was about to lay out the money for a Visonic PowerMaster 10 kit (panel, siren, PIRs, door contact) plus the Visonic KP-160-PG2 keypad... but I've just found out that the 10 doesn't have the cool voice prompts... it's the PowerMaster 30 you get that with!

I had not actually realised that while doing all my research. Shucks!

Is my dream just a pipe-dream?

I've taken a different view overnight... my drive for a sexy keypad could be replaced by an alarm system with no need at all for a keypad... has anyone had any experience of the Pyronix Enforcer Wireless Home Control+ system?

I assume the main panel can go into a cupboard or the cellar head and when you return home you use your phone to disarm the system - but what if your phone has no signal or is taking ages to connect to your home WiFi - do you risk the system 'going off'?

Or do you just race to wherever you've hidden the main panel and key a code in?

Sponsored Links
the enforcer has a keypad on the main unit, as does many other panels, those with apps will allow you to hide the panel and keypad in a cupboard or where ever anyway if you wish.

if the app fails for whatever reason you still can deal with the alarm manually, having no keypad at all is plain stupid in my opinion.

probably doesn't have power back up, only seen a few that do.
If its on gprs the panel will usually power the connection anyway but need good strong mobile signals for that.

even then the towers do occasionally go do for maintenance etc

Had a chat with a local security company and they say that they do recommend the Enforcer system... rather than the Visonic PowerMaster approach.

They said that if you install a keypad near the front door as well, you've effectively got 4 ways of disarming the system as you come home - 1) you use a keyfob... 2) you use the app., 3) you use the door-located keypad (optional, not required) or 4) you walk to the main panel.

This kinda sounds OK to me.

However, the Enforcer currently just has a GSM module and he's waiting on the latest-latest information from Pyronix on the WiFi module. I'd not want that if it was GSM only and required a SIM.

Sexy or functional ?

Seriously, why should I have to be satisfied with one or the other? The thought process behind this comment is why this industry is in the shoddy state it is in... Google needs to get on this bus and bring out a Nest Burglar Alarm... that'll shake things up. :D

As the local security company did not yet know, I've asked Pyronix when their WiFi upgrade option for this Enforcer system will be available for app. control. This was via the Contact Us form on their website... so I will see a) if they talk to end users and b) if their customer service is any good.

Hopefully.

The local company is checking too... but it can't hurt to set two hares running.

The thought process behind this comment is why this industry is in the shoddy state it is in
The alarm industry is not in a shoddy state, professional alarms are high quality, reliable and while they cannot prevent a burglary they do reduce the amount of theft or damage by "disturbing" the criminals and mobilising police and or other resources.

The "shoddy" area is the DIY and low cost "professional" alarms where cost to customer is more important than ensuring effective and reliable operation as an alarm system.

Because manufacturers are competing against each other they will make their systems attractive to the general public by adding "sexy" functions that do not improve the alarm and often add complexity ( to hardware and software ) that while making the alarm more attractive do not add to the reiability of the system. Some of the sexy items actually reduce the effectiveness and / or reliability of the system.

You don't need to be an artist or an actor to appreciate aesthetics... not everything needs to be about functionality and utility in my opinion. I comment, from basic research looking into a completely new system, that this stuff is waaaay behind the curve of the 21st century. It's all so boring and bland. Entry of a 4 digit code, while standing at a panel with rubberised keys, like a ZX Spectrum computer? No way!

I should not need to choose between these characteristics of an alarm system... aesthetic appeal, functionality, reliability... I should get 'em all.

If you want art on your walls then buy a painting. (*) if you want a reliable alarm system then hide it's bland bits behind the painting or in a cupboard.

(*) don't spend a lot of money on artwork unless the alarm system is accepted by the insurance company that is insuring the artworks.

Ha, fair enough.

Whether you actually appreciate the look of a Nest Thermostat or not, I would think most people would say they look better than the cream boxes we've had on the walls for years? The time will come for burglar alarms, I'm sure... for me I'm sorely tempted by this Enforcer and the idea of no keypad (by the door) at all... need to find out about this WiFi module.

I'll probably still choose the Visonic PowerMaster 10 kit plus the snazzy keypad if there's no clarity on that... but I wish it had the voice prompt (even though the local guys said everyone turns that off after a while)... he did also say he preferred the Enforcer over the PowerMaster for 'other reasons' (I think it was a security thing, he could tell me but then he'd have to kill me... and then I couldn't pay!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back