Shock off light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Had a call from my friend telling me the light switch in the kitchen has given him a shock. Its a 2way switch,1 switching the kitchen light and 1 switching the under cupboard lights. Took switch off,no damaged cables etc,cable to kitchen light T&E and cupboard light just a single and earth,at cupboard lights T&E so a joint has been made somewhere. I have IR the kitchen light SW cable,clear. So my question is!? The kitchen light is a Low volt light,could it be possible the transformer is faulty and leaking current? Suggestions please!!

Sponsored Links
Is the switch earthed? Can you confirm this by conducting an R1+R2 test from the CU? Can you confirm your Ze is within spec?

Yes earth is present at switch,R1&R2 plus loop tests have come up normal.

Sponsored Links
Could possibly be,just trying to rule everything out. Have you ever had or known a low voltage light cause such fault?

My Bad its a 2 gang not 2 way! 1 for kitchen light 1 for cupboard lights. And have only IR on kitchen light switch cable not complete circuit.

I've had this before when it's been a metal switch, and the floor is a laminate with that polythene type underlay with it.

Is this what he has?

Zs was 0.86 ohms and R1&R2 was 0.24 ohms. Mate has got a tiled floor in kitchen and laminate in hall way to kitchen. Said his hands were not wet and he definalty didnt have his night dress on :D

...also he had a metal switch before but since recieving a shock had it changed to plastic and again recieved a random shock.

Does he have electric underfloor heating? What supply type is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back