Short-term Radiator Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently we've noticed that one of our radiators has started leaking and upon closer inspection we've found that the leak is coming from the bottom of main panel of the radiator itself - as if it has been knocked by something.

This leak is tiny, most of the time you can't see it. Initially we thought one of the cats had had a small wee as you could not see any evidence of a leak. Every now and again though you could see a drip starting to form. The leak is that tiny that we put a baking tray underneath the radiator and we got a ml or two of water in a day at most.

In the new year we intend to replace this radiator anyway - the previous owners appeared to have no idea how to size a radiator and it is too small for the room but with christmas near we don't really want to have to shell out right now. The flipside of this however is that with the radiator off the room is too cold to spend any great amount of time in.

So, can anyone recommend a short-term solution? ie sealants, radiator repair glues etc.

Sadie.

Sponsored Links
turn the rad off using the valves at either side (to stop it leaking) and buy a double panel rad of the same length as a xmas pressie :LOL:

...buy a double panel rad of the same length as a xmas pressie :LOL:

The radiator I was going get in the new year is wider and taller than the current one - I did say the previous occupier didn't have a clue.

If it was a case of just buying a radiator I'd buy it now rather than faff about. Thing is the pipework needs to be altered and so the fitting cost would probably exceed the cost of the rad itself and thus the reason for putting this off until new year.

Sadie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back