Skylight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got a skylight installed in our new kitchen, but the position of the skylight is such that the light from it would fall on the back of a wall. We installed is to bring some light into the new living / dinning room. I am now thinking of getting a hole knocked through this wall, so that light from the skylight can enter the room.

Would something like this look bad and has anybody seen something like this done? and would a opening this size need a lintel?

Sponsored Links
I'd give it a bit more thought, so that it does not look like a random window just thrown up there.

Central and horizontally rectangular would be much better

All openings in walls require a lintel or an arch to hold the wall above up

I'd give it a bit more thought, so that it does not look like a random window just thrown up there.

Central and horizontally rectangular would be much better

All openings in walls require a lintel or an arch to hold the wall above up

Thanks Woody.

Would I need a SE report for opening of such a size or would a standard concrete lintel be ok with building regs? The opening will probably be 90cm.

If this s a standard external wall, with no out of the ordinary point loads above, and you use a standard lintel as per the manufacturers guide, then no SE will be required

Sponsored Links
Did the builders box down from the roof light vertically as opposed to a splayed opening? :eek:

That door hard against the wall was not thought out very well.... :confused:

Did the builders box down from the roof light vertically as opposed to a splayed opening? :eek:

That door hard against the wall was not thought out very well.... :confused:

It is a splayed opening, but it is positioned a bit higher. So the light is being blocked by the wall.

Well we were tight on spaces. So I wanted as much on the other side to fit a sink. But yeah I now see what you mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back