Smart meter ?

Re the Tracker - I read somewhere that the indoor display is not able to show the per Kw rate. My display does seem to be displaying something near the correct rates per Kw. Actual today from the Octopus site for electric - 17.50p. My display shows it as 17.18p. The gas price shows a similar discrepancy.

Sponsored Links
Such a useful idea, I installed several overhead sockets in my garage/workshop - much better than the trip hazard, of extension leads trailing across the floor.
Very much so. I've posted this before, and hopefully you can just about see (amidst all the mess!) the pair of hanging sockets (usually 'hooked up' when not in use) of which I have several in my cellar/workshop.

1704561309128.png

Kind Regards, John

I've been quite busy the past few days, getting well into this Octopus Tracker tariff - Here are my own conclusions..

It's certainly well worth switching to it, if you don't mind taking a very slight risk, because the odds are well in your favour. My guess is that they can afford to offer such a generous tariff, because they are passing much of the cost and pricing risk onto the customers, rather than having to cover the risk directly themselves. The tariff presented, is tied closely, to the wholesale cost on a daily basis, rather that the risk they take presetting the cost for months ahead. It's not much of a risk for the customer, because they can switch back to another tariff within two weeks anyway, and both E&G tariffs have a maximum limit set on them anyway. The greater risk, is going off the Tracker, because then you can not rejoin the Tracker for 9 months.

Here are some useful websites, which help to keep one informed of the way Tracker costs are progressing. You need to select both the Tracker version, and your area of the UK....

This one sends you a daily update email - https://energypricenotifierweb.azurewebsites.net/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/547066184149588

Iphone Apps
OctoTracker
OctopusCompare

It seems well worth switching to Tracker for me at least, it looks as if I will be saving at least 25% on my energy bills, without doing anything special at all - no need to only use it, when it's especially cheap, because it's the same price for the entire day, plus so far well below the Variable and Fixed tariffs. It has only once, briefly risen above those tariffs, anyway - so what's not to like?

To subscribe to the Tracker, you need to first have switched to Octopus, and also to have Smart Meters fitted and working. My experience with Octopus, since I switched to them, has been absolutely first-rate, in all ways.

Here is a referral link, should anyone fancy a move to Octopus https://share.octopus.energy/jade-light-417. I understand it gets both you, and me a little off your own, and my bill, if it is used.

I've been quite busy the past few days, getting well into this Octopus Tracker tariff - Here are my own conclusions..

It's certainly well worth switching to it, if you don't mind taking a very slight risk, because the odds are well in your favour. My guess is that they can afford to offer such a generous tariff, because they are passing much of the cost and pricing risk onto the customers, rather than having to cover the risk directly themselves. The tariff presented, is tied closely, to the wholesale cost on a daily basis, rather that the risk they take presetting the cost for months ahead. It's not much of a risk for the customer, because they can switch back to another tariff within two weeks anyway, and both E&G tariffs have a maximum limit set on them anyway. The greater risk, is going off the Tracker, because then you can not rejoin the Tracker for 9 months.

Here are some useful websites, which help to keep one informed of the way Tracker costs are progressing. You need to select both the Tracker version, and your area of the UK....

This one sends you a daily update email - https://energypricenotifierweb.azurewebsites.net/

Iphone Apps
OctoTracker
OctopusCompare

It seems well worth switching to Tracker for me at least, it looks as if I will be saving at least 25% on my energy bills, without doing anything special at all - no need to only use it, when it's especially cheap, because it's the same price for the entire day, plus so far well below the Variable and Fixed tariffs. It has only once, briefly risen above those tariffs, anyway - so what's not to like?

To subscribe to the Tracker, you need to first have switched to Octopus, and also to have Smart Meters fitted and working. My experience with Octopus, since I switched to them, has been absolutely first-rate, in all ways.

Here is a referral link, should anyone fancy a move to Octopus https://share.octopus.energy/jade-light-417. I understand it gets both you, and me a little off your own, and my bill, if it is used.
The referral link is £50 for each, so it's well worth using one.

Sponsored Links

Iphone Apps
OctoTracker
OctopusCompare

I've been watching the Octopus Tracker tariff for a while, it looks good but I haven't yet taken the plunge and signed up. Thanks for the links, very useful.

Thanks for the links, very useful.

I just wish I'd known about the tariff months ago. I looked at some of the variable rates, but having no solar, battery, EV, or any off-peak need, nothing would fit my round the clock consumption. Tracker, is perfect for that round the clock, steady consumption.

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency of quoted cost per Kw, between the various sites - I'm advised the accurate one, is the supplier's quoted price, which can be a little over a penny cheaper than some of the sites.

Anyone switching to Octopus Tracker within the last year would have saved around a third. It's a huge saving, with very little risk. Also, importantly for me, it doesn't involve any lifestyle changes, high peak rates or other messing about. Just a single price all day.

Today I'm paying 21p instead of the standard 28p I was paying previously. It's been as low as 13p over christmas, less than half price.

This is my referral link for Octopus, which will get you a £50 bill credit usually within a couple of months...

Today's price is always available from the Octopus app or website. I also get updates at 7am every day to my phone.

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency of quoted cost per Kw, between the various sites - I'm advised the accurate one, is the supplier's quoted price, which can be a little over a penny cheaper than some of the sites.
The variation is regional. Also there are some older versions of the tariff that are still running, some of which are slightly lower.

I must admit I had not realised the difference between automatic meter reading (AMR) and advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) the latter refereed to as "Smart" that enables two-way communication between the meter and the supplier, and has power outage notification.

So my question has to be what is the two-way communication used for? It seems they can without changing meter go to pre-payment, and it seems this has been made possible by the repeal of the truck act ect, and the ability to pay in the coin of the realm. It does seem to cause problems for people on the bread line, who may not have bank accounts, and live hand to mouth, but does not really affect me. So never looked at how people without a bank account pay for electric.

I do wonder about the power outage notification, yes they do know if the DNO fuse is drawn, but the question is what happens when the fuse ruptures? Is some one auto sent out if no one answers the phone to fix it?

It does seem to cause problems for people on the bread line, who may not have bank accounts, and live hand to mouth, but does not really affect me. So never looked at how people without a bank account pay for electric.

I think there are special, credit only accounts for such people, but I think I also read they could use cash. Something about going into a local shop, handing cash over, along with a card - The card ID's the meters, to which credit is added remotely.

The variation is regional. Also there are some older versions of the tariff that are still running, some of which are slightly lower.

It doesn't account for it, because I set up both the region, and tracker version.

Octotracker and Octopus are both suggesting the same cost today - 18.45p and 4.22p.

GasTracker shows 20.55p and 4.6p per unit. On the Octopus app, it suggests it does include the VAT, so the discrepancy is not due to that.

Sounds like GasTracker is just wrong then.

I get daily notifications from this website...

It's independent, think it was recommended by Octopus somewhere but not sure. This always matches the price in the Octopus app.

Loads of graphs and numbers available on this website, again all seems to tally...

Loads of graphs and numbers available on this website, again all seems to tally...

That seems to show a price for today, of 20.5 and 4.60, in common with some other price trackers. Unlike other price trackers, I cannot see an obvious setting for the actual Tracker version I am on, the December 2023 V1.

Octopus's own site (Login, Home > Change my tariff) quotes me 18.45 and 4.22, which I assume includes VAT. My OctoTractor app, on my Iphone quotes identical cost to the Octopus site, 18.45 and 4.22.

That seems to show a price for today, of 20.5 and 4.60, in common with some other price trackers. Unlike other price trackers, I cannot see an obvious setting for the actual Tracker version I am on, the December 2023 V1.

Octopus's own site (Login, Home > Change my tariff) quotes me 18.45 and 4.22, which I assume includes VAT. My OctoTractor app, on my Iphone quotes identical cost to the Octopus site, 18.45 and 4.22.

I have finally got to the bottom (maybe) of the discrepancy.....

It's all down to the Tracker tariff version. Octopus , in my account, are showing me as being on the November 2022 V1 Tracker tariff, I was making an assumption based on having just joined the Tracker, that I was on the later, more expensive December 2023. Hopefully, they do have me on the earlier tariff.

That sounds like you've been the victim of a very fortunate mistake! Quietly wait for your first bill to check, I wouldn't dare ask them about it in case they correct it.

This is from my account info. Just log in, My Account then scroll down (it's off the bottom of the screen initially)...

Untitled.png

Today is the most expensive day yet! Still a good chunk less than the standard 28p though, had a 13p day sometime around Christmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back