Smart meter ?

That sounds like you've been the victim of a very fortunate mistake! Quietly wait for your first bill to check, I wouldn't dare ask them about it in case they correct it.

1704895180625.png

I did think to ask them whether it was an error, or whether it comes up with the wrong tariff version as a matter of course, but managed to stop myself in time :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's fab. Even better than the low prices, I don't think that tariff has an expiry date. There have been rumours (and denials) about customers being moved to the later (higher) version but nobody really knows.

Definitely keep it zipped!

I'm still very happy that I'm paying about two thirds of the standard tariff. It's those on any standard tariff who are missing out.

Smart Meter? Yes please, otherwise you'll pay about 50% more than I do, 60% more than Harry does!

Smart Meter? Yes please, otherwise you'll pay about 50% more than I do, 60% more than Harry does!

Even better, I've just been notified that for the first time ever - I have referred a friend, and when he pays his first bill, we each get £50 off.

I notice when others post a screen grab, from their phone app - it shows an expiry date for their tracker tariff, on my app - that shows a blank.

I just got my first (forced bill) which included my new Octopus tariff, and I am absolutely delighted with it. Octopus normally produce a bill, once per month, but you can 'force' an up to date bill, by entering your meter readings - absolutely no need with Smart Meters, but it generates a bill for the curious, like me.

The bill showed my original Octopus tariff, from 1st to 3rd, then Tracker from 4th to 13th yesterday. I triggered the bill, this morning with the readings, the bill arrived a little later. The final pages of the bill itemised each days Tracker tariff rate, and the cost of each day, for both gas and electric. This was over quite a cold period, being less than careful with consumption, and it showed an average for both gas and electric, totalling just £4.62 per day.

Here is a referral so we can both share £100 - https://share.octopus.energy/jade-light-417

Sponsored Links
I just wish I'd known about the tariff months ago. I looked at some of the variable rates, but having no solar, battery, EV, or any off-peak need, nothing would fit my round the clock consumption. Tracker, is perfect for that round the clock, steady consumption.

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency of quoted cost per Kw, between the various sites - I'm advised the accurate one, is the supplier's quoted price, which can be a little over a penny cheaper than some of the sites.
I have now switched to the tracker tariff. None of the sites you have mentioned give the same rate as the Octopus app and even the IHD is wrong.

I have now switched to the tracker tariff. None of the sites you have mentioned give the same rate as the Octopus app and even the IHD is wrong.

Some of the sites, need you to select your area, and the actual Tracker tariff you are on. Your Account page at Octopus, will show you the correct tariff, and the correct cost per Kwh, each day. The IHD does show the wrong charge, but it shows usage correctly, as does the Your Account page.

If like me, you want confirmation of what, and how they are charging - if you just send in an unnecessary, manual meter reading. That will generate an itemised bill the same day. The last page of the bill, shows each days use, the cost, and total cost of each energy.

Some of the sites, need you to select your area, and the actual Tracker tariff you are on. Your Account page at Octopus, will show you the correct tariff, and the correct cost per Kwh, each day. The IHD does show the wrong charge, but it shows usage correctly, as does the Your Account page.

If like me, you want confirmation of what, and how they are charging - if you just send in an unnecessary, manual meter reading. That will generate an itemised bill the same day. The last page of the bill, shows each days use, the cost, and total cost of each energy.
I did the area selection and tracker version on all the sites but the sites were still wrong. It doesn’t matter as the Octopus app tells me the todays prices, the history and next day prices on the 3rd party sites would have been useful info.

I did the area selection and tracker version on all the sites but the sites were still wrong. It doesn’t matter as the Octopus app tells me the todays prices, the history and next day prices on the 3rd party sites would have been useful info.

I use this on my PC, it is always correct - https://octopriceuk.vercel.app/tracker

I have two copies of the site, on two tabs of my browser, one for Tracker, the other for Variable.

The next days price, appears during the present day - usually electric appear by lunchtime, then gas by late afternoon. Today, I'm paying less than half of the Variable tariff, which everyone else is paying.

I use this on my PC, it is always correct - https://octopriceuk.vercel.app/tracker

I have two copies of the site, on two tabs of my browser, one for Tracker, the other for Variable.

The next days price, appears during the present day - usually electric appear by lunchtime, then gas by late afternoon. Today, I'm paying less than half of the Variable tariff, which everyone else is paying.
I use that site too, it’s wrong with both the unit rate and the standing charge :(

I use that site too, it’s wrong with both the unit rate and the standing charge :(

I cannot see where the SC is quoted anywhere on the site, but the unit rates always match those of the Octopus site, for me. Are you sure you have set the correct Tracker tariff, there are several options?

I cannot see where the SC is quoted anywhere on the site, but the unit rates always match those of the Octopus site, for me. Are you sure you have set the correct Tracker tariff, there are several options?
I have checked and double checked. It’s a nuisance the sites are wrong for me but never mind.

15.9p electricity today instead of the normal 28p. Amazing that most are still paying standard prices while this is available.

Yep, defies belief that some seem to see it as perhaps their duty to pay twice as much as they need to pay for energy.

I'm paying less than 50%, 13.40p and 3.70p today, versus the 27.79 and 7.35p I would have been paying.

Smokers and drinkers pay loads of tax duty etc.
Not because they like to smoke and drink.
It`s because they are patriotic

Channel 4 documentary next Wednesday night about smart meters, doubt it will be favourable .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back