socket wiring ring

I missed the JB bit.

No - just run a cable from one socket to the other.

Ideally between the two end ones, but you could leave the one on the right as a spur if you really have to.

This is notifiable, BTW..... :confused:

Sponsored Links
So whats the best thing to do? Other than rewire? Can I join the two sockets in the top of the drawing via a junction box in the loft. To create a ring.

You shouldn't need a rewire, however we need to make sure you'll be wiring the correct thing.

The problem is those 4 boxes at the top.

• The first box two boxes bunched up in the middle at the top, is there a wire joining them?
    The two on the right, one after the other, are they single sockets or double sockets?

The 2 top center arnt connected to each other but I can get to both to create a ring. The 2 top right are both doubles.

Sponsored Links
The 2 top center arnt connected to each other but I can get to both to create a ring. The 2 top right are both doubles.
If you connect the two top centre ones that only solves half the problem, as you still have a spur off a spur on the top right. A better solution would be to run a cable from the top left socket, to the top right socket, then the whole lot would be in a continuous ring.

OR....

You can join the top two in the middle together, and then EITHER

• Lose the top right-hand socket completely, OR
    Run those two doubles from a fused spur, installed between the second and third socket (from top left), as long as the loads aren't going to be greater than 13A total. Not elegant though, and someone needs to know what's going on if that fuse spur were to blow.
The reason I ask about twins or singles is that at one point it was possible to install a spur off a spur (like you have) if both sockets where singles (which yours aren't). You can't do that retrospectively now though as it's not part of the current regs.

Im goin to revive far.top right socket.and join top center sockets. They are def not joined currently but does mean I got to channel out the wall :(

does this work?

wiring1-1.jpg

@sparkwright i dont understand what you are saying, sorry excuse my stupidness

Can I join the two sockets in the top of the drawing via a junction box in the loft. To create a ring.
If you're sure about the connectivity you have shown, yes.
Ill double check it tonight. So I literally wire the two wires into a juction box to create the ring and that will ease the load.
I missed the JB bit.

No - just run a cable from one socket to the other.
Can I join the two sockets in the top of the drawing via a junction box in the loft. To create a ring.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:oops: just about to repeat other suggestions
No point:

just run a cable from one socket to the other.

Ideally between the two end ones, but you could leave the one on the right as a spur if you really have to.
If you connect the two top centre ones that only solves half the problem, as you still have a spur off a spur on the top right. A better solution would be to run a cable from the top left socket, to the top right socket, then the whole lot would be in a continuous ring.

so were did we get with this? connect the two center sockets together and remove the top far right one? that sound right? do i need to change the mcb to 20 amps or is the 32 fine?

You would change to a 20 amp MCB INSTEAD of altering the wiring. This is known as a radial circuit, it is not a complete ring circuit.

If you want to keep the 32 amp MCB, you need to alter the wiring so it is in the form of a ring circuit. Spurs or branches are permitted from the ring, but each spur can only serve one socket.

I see from your proposed diagram you will lose a socket.

As the socket circuit does not supply the kitchen I ASSUME it won't be powering many kettles and washing machines etc, so possibly won't need a 32 amp supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back