soil pipe headache

That's the way it happens in the UK, it's up to you if you wish to accept it as the truth or not. Arguing about it doesn't make it any less correct.

Tho again, it's someone else's post about an issue they've had, so that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

Apologies again Spiffy

Sponsored Links
I indicated early in my posts the drain cleaning tools that, in my experience, are carried on some plumbers vans, & some drain cleaners vans. I made no claim that i was a plumber or a drain cleaner, i merely suggested options for how to open a blockage.

Are you suggesting that portable snakes, for instance, are rarely carried?
You write "clearing wastes" - presumably "wastes" was an error.

You say that the "handing off" was "pointed out quite clearly" - where? Where was this handing off pointed out? Please supply the quote?

The release of sewage by user name Hugh Jaleak was from a vertical stack - yet you create a straw dog & then ramble on about spillage from a manhole - not quite the same page?

Why do you use the expression "in the UK" four times? Could you explain what you mean by this?

"that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned." - What. Are you another jack-in-a-box jumping in and then jumping out, & slouching away? I dont know about "take it or leave it" but that sure seems like leaving it?

FWIW: If you are so concerned about stomping on spiffy's post then why did you stomp in the first place?

Ree, this isn't some kind of personal attack, no need to pick your way through everything for quotes, mistypes or points that can be used as an area of deliberation.
This all started over your disagreement as to what the correct direction to rod a soil pipe should be and how a spillage could be created and then dealt with etc.
It's getting pointless continuing as no matter what is said you will no doubt find something else to disagree with.

So not flitting in and out, just pointless carrying on.

Time to agree to disagree methinks

oh and I stomped on the post because I believe that hugh didn't deserve the tirade that followed his helpful, IMO correct, comments and example of how things can be done in the UK, which may btw, differ greatly from the US....at least I apologised for doing it.

As a matter of fact, a bottle of strong bleach is a must before I personally carry out any blocked drain problems for friends usually! , just in case of spillage and contamination, and after I finish with any tools that were subjected to filth, each tool is cleaned properly and disinfected as a precaution against health risks to me and to anyone else. But sure your own heralth must come first.

Sponsored Links
You have obviously not read my back posts to take the pretentiously superior attitude that i dont know how things are done in the UK. Not once in this thread have i indicated that i'm describing US practices.
How foolish to assume that location somehow limits knowledge or experience, only the geographically challenged would think that.

I analyse claims in Forum posts just as i analyse a done job - if its done right no problem.
If you dont supply the evidence of quotes then how do you propose to proceed?

Its not personal but you judged me to have launched a "tirade" & tell me to "take it or leave it" & imply that i haven't apologised to spiffy.

You allow yourself to "stomp" in because a poster with 3750 posts, & six years on the Forum, cant defend himself, and "deserves" your intervention.

This all did not start over "the correct direction to rod a soil pipe" - i can quote what it "started over" but i will allow you to go back and see for yourself, what it started over. Neither was spillage originally involved - spillage implies an accident, what the user name High Jaleak suggested was deliberate.
If you wish to help deserving posters then at least be accurate - thats what quotes are for.

You say "at least i apologised" for stomping into spiffy's thread, implying that i didn't. Why should i apologise for giving sensible options & staying on thread, would you have us split threads when the mods are constantly trying to join them?

There are still outstanding questions from my earlier post to you?

Only the Pope and the Queen use "we" when speaking about themselves.

Its a poor show to walk away when challenged.

Courage was defined by a famous American writer as: "Grace under pressure".
Pretending to walk away while having one last cheap shot is not graceful.

The top half looks to me like Solvent Weld. I agree that this waste pipe in the strap boss may be protruding too far in. I would rod up via the access door at the bottom, but stand to the side. If you have to cut anywhere, cut out the branch, clear both ways and then replace it with a ring seal access branch - that will enable you to rod the horizontal section in future. All you will need to do that is one ring seal access branch and two double sockets - all push fit. Good luck.

Firstly, my apologies to the OP, but I am not going to walk away without at least challenging derogatory comments made by another. I am perfectly capable of defending myself, but I wasn't going to waste my time, and clog up someone elses post with more arguing because othat same person wants to dissect every post and pick fault with what has been written... I also note it's not just me, it seems anyone who does not agree with your views is subject to derision. :eek:

For what it's worth, I am City and Guilds qualified in Plumbing, trained in High Pressure water jetting, and entry into confined spaces. I have also been involved in the design, installation and maintenance of sewers and drains for over 25 years, and have probably unblocked more sewers than most of the Plumbers on here. Clearly this counts for nothing. :rolleyes:

For whatever reason if you're unhappy with my methods, methods which I hasten to add are accepted industry practice in the U.K., then sorry, but if they don't suit you then don't employ them.

I am happy to give up my time on here to advise those who wish to DIY such a job, and equally to advise of the legal standing regarding drainage for those who are not so sure. Drain cleaning is not a pleasant job, and I reiterate, sometimes a mess is unavoidable.

Maybe you should have a look for the BBC programme shown in 2014, entitled 'The Water Men'. It was a 'fly on the wall' series following the men and women working for United Utilities in the UK. The series contained footage of drain cleaning, and IIRC they sometimes even made a mess!!!!! ;)

You have a funny way of "retiring gracefully" as you intended in your sat 31 jan post. In the same post you expressed your concern for "cluttering up the thread" - but here you are again. No concern now for cluttering up the thread.

You now say that " you were not going to waste your time ... clogging up somebody elses post" but you will do it anyway. What between leaving, and decluttering, its amazing that you have time for releasing sewage into people's backyards.

And you: "who are perfectly capable of defending yourself" now call for help as in "not just me" and "anyone" - both terms sound like more than yourself, dont you agree? Apparently, Jimmy Hoffa is available if more help is needed?

AAMOI: where in this post are you "challenging" me, your claimed reason for popping up again?
I challenge people whose posts are technically wrong but if they choose to leave the technical page then they can expect to be criticised.

Your last paragraphs are so off off page that i'll leave them alone. Just one thing, did the TV program show footage of plumbers deliberately releasing sewage into peoples backyards?

To use one exclamation mark is acceptable for those who lack the ability to express themselves in writing. For an adult to use five exclamation marks is well weird.

I also notice that you raise the dead parrot of UK vs USA - that is so sad and stupid. As my post above, where have i mentioned US practices etc.?

Sorry guys, you could argue whatever, but while you were doing that i just improvised a new solution to unblocking practically anything, here is how:

1. Get a 2l bottle of Coca Cola, the brand is important and must be reguLAR COKE, do not get diet one.

2. improvise a cap for a pipe or a cover for your wc bowl, such that it will fit air tight when needed, and keep it ready nearby.

3. then Pour 2L bottle of Coca cola into your blocked drain pipe, or your wc pan but save a glass full of this for later on you will need and i will tell you for why

4. get the cover ready to fit very very quickly.

5. Did I say you also need some Mentos, so when you go and buy Coca cola get some Mentos too.

6. drop these in and quickly cover the pan or the pipe end with the cap, for the pan you will also need to put all your weight on it.

7. in the next few seconds there will be a huge woosh! it will either clear your blockage or you will be pushed through your roof!

8. When doing the WC Pan, ensure that your cistren cover is held down with weights, as back pressure can get into it through the pan rim and into the cistren tank and blow the cover off.

If blockage is not cleared, go back to shop and buy 2 bottle s of coca cola and more Mentos, and repeat again.

Good luck, hopefully this new latest technique will render all existing drain clearing expensive equipment good for a scrap heap,

9. Finally when the blockage is cleared, take that glass of Coca Cola I asked you to save, nothing is more refreshing than a glass of chilled Coca cola after
using a smashing technique clearing a blocked drain ! :LOL:

(Don't try this at home)

Hugh Jaleak,

So, you are claiming to be a drain cleaner? A drain cleaner who, instead of dealing with the subject at hand, roams about out of context (you are doing it again only this time you have no excuse for "not realising")) and keeps going off page.

You say that you've been doing this "for many years". Then you've been doing the job wrong for many years if your idea of a competent drain cleaner is to release sewage into peoples back yards - and its not "spillage or effluent" (more euphemism) we are talking about, its sewage released by yourself.

Your bewildering claims that:
1. the sewage can be "swept up" - up to where, what are you going to do with this sewage that you've "swept up"?
2. "the water will soak away" - how will it soak away on a hard surface yard?
3. It will "dry up" - if its raining?
4. How can you wash the yard down if there's no available gulley? Or doesn't adding more water matter because it will eventually dry up? At this stage you've turned somebody's backyard into a sewage pond. Just saying.

Now a tanker is introduced. Are you having a laugh - suggesting that the average drain cleaner or plumber has a tanker on call: "if its available"? And how would an available tanker access typical narrow or gated back entryways?

And you now are out of context again - we are talking about what you do prior to digging. Perhaps you "didn't realise" that either?

"the etiquette of cleaning and unblocking drains" - Please explain what you mean by this? Are you off with the euphemisms again? Etiquette?

And so says Perez !!! nuff said :p :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back