Soldering cable query.

I wasn't sure if you were just joining two cables, or a flex and a cable, or tapping a flex into two cables!

If I was just joining flex to cable (ie a single solid conductor to a single multi-stranded conductor) then I'd normally just spiral wind the flexible one round the solid one, solder and heat-shrink.

Anyway I'm sure you can work it out!

Sponsored Links
Well, I was connecting two cables together (lengthening lighting cable basically) - I was originally going to wind the flex around the solid core then solder and heat shrink tube that...I guess I thought the implication was to use the 'tap' a flex into two cables...which is what I ended up doing! Suffice it to say - it worked! Royal pain in the george michael mind...would I have been ok to merely join one flex cable and use this to enter the actual light fitting?
Still - thanks for your advice - it got me there!
...any tips for knackered wallpaper around the new light switch though :)

Many thanks.

Northbeach said:
...any tips for knackered wallpaper around the new light switch though :)
you can get surrounds to go around, plastic ones are cheap as -depends if you like the look tho, there are others availiable but again it depends if you like the looks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back