Spot the fault...

Sponsored Links
Quite often find with thermal imaging that where a tail is bent, it runs warmer than where it is straight. Someone with some physics can explain it!

You can also notice it with shower cables. A shower cable clipped up inside an airing cupboard runs cooler on the straight runs than it does at the bends. Noticeable to the hand.

Lec, you don't need physics to explain it.

Where the cable's bent, the electrons have to slow down to go round the corner.

Thus, they form a queue, jostling and bumping into each other. This is why the cable heats up on bends.

Lec, you don't need physics to explain it. ... Where the cable's bent, the electrons have to slow down to go round the corner. ... Thus, they form a queue, jostling and bumping into each other. This is why the cable heats up on bends.
:)

I presume that at least one of the mechanisms is that any bend, particularly a tight one, has the capacity to produce localised reductions in effective CSA.

However (never thought of this before!), 'trying to be clever' and thinking of the physics (particularly Newton's laws), does not some energy have to be expended in order to persuade an electron (which has mass) to do something other than travel at constant speed in a straight line? Mind you, considerations of quantum physics probably screw that all up!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
does not some energy have to be expended in order to persuade an electron (which has mass) to do something other than travel at constant speed in a straight line? Mind you, considerations of quantum physics probably screw that all up!
As I think you know, electrons in a conductor don't travel at constant speed in a straight line, they just jump to the next atom.

However, I think the reason for the higher temperature is simply the localised increase in ambient temperature reducing the ability of the cable to convect heat.

back to the original question - I can see the serious fault. The focus function of the camera has failed! :)

As I think you know, electrons in a conductor don't travel at constant speed in a straight line, they just jump to the next atom.
Yes, that's true. As I said, I was just trying (clearly not hard enough!) to think of a way of 'being clever' :)
However, I think the reason for the higher temperature is simply the localised increase in ambient temperature reducing the ability of the cable to convect heat.
Maybe, but there are two sides to any bend, and the opportunity for convection loss might increase on one side when it decreases on the other - but that, too, is probably 'trying to be too clever'!

Kind Regards, John

I'd expect the ambient temperature to be about equal either side of the bend, hence convection loss will be the same.
Now for radiated heat loss you have a point.

I'd expect the ambient temperature to be about equal either side of the bend, hence convection loss will be the same. Now for radiated heat loss you have a point.
Won't the convection (as well as radiation) loss also be different (even with the same ambient temp on both sides of bend) because of the different surface area? Increasing the size of a CH 'radiator' will result in more heat 'loss' by both radiation and convection, won't it?

Kind Regards, John

But if you consider say a 12" length of cable, the surface area hasn't increased if it is bent.
We're not increasing the size of the CH radiator, we're bending it, and I'd expect the temperature inside the bend to be greater than that on the outside.

RF, give us some more clues!

But if you consider say a 12" length of cable, the surface area hasn't increased if it is bent.
Not necessarily changed overall, but the surface area on the outside of the bend will surely have to have increased and/or that on the inside of the bend decreased - is that not the nature of bends? :)
RF, give us some more clues!
Indeed - and, ideally (probably not possible!) a better photo!

Kind Regards, John

Does this help?

IR_0095a.jpg

Just a wild guess but are the cables 'tucked' around the swa and therefore having more current induced into them?

However (never thought of this before!), 'trying to be clever' and thinking of the physics (particularly Newton's laws), does not some energy have to be expended in order to persuade an electron (which has mass) to do something other than travel at constant speed in a straight line? Mind you, considerations of quantum physics probably screw that all up!
Indeed.

IANASAP, but I'm pretty sure it would be quantum mechanics, rather than Newtonian, which would be involved.

At the scale of a cable, electrons don't move in straight lines, and actually drift at a very low speed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back