Spot the fault...

Lec, you don't need physics to explain it.

Where the cable's bent, the electrons have to slow down to go round the corner.

Thus, they form a queue, jostling and bumping into each other. This is why the cable heats up on bends.

And that's physics, not what we are trained for!

Sponsored Links
Lec, you don't need physics to explain it.

Where the cable's bent, the electrons have to slow down to go round the corner.

Thus, they form a queue, jostling and bumping into each other. This is why the cable heats up on bends.

And that's physics, not what we are trained for!
Anyway, we're talking about AC, which is bendy electrickery. If it were DC, which is straight, then it might have trouble bending round corners. ;)

I got lost in all that so I don't know if we're still guessing. Is it two tails going through different holes in a metal box?

I got lost in all that so I don't know if we're still guessing. Is it two tails going through different holes in a metal box?
I thought of that one, but rather discounted it because, if that were the case (and goodness knows how RF could have expected us to see this from his photo, anyway!) I would have expected the thermal image to show a hot part of the bottom of the box - which i don't think it does.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sorry been busy!

The warm tails prompted me to have a bit more of a thorough look, and I found another three henley blocks tucked away under the proteus board. This is in a chilled cellar kept at a constant 14°C

IR_0093a.jpg

I know this pic is even worse than the first one, but the insulation has completely burnt away from the tail for about the first 25mm after one of the henleys.

d697529ab75aae30e01ad2f05052451b.jpg

The warm tails prompted me to have a bit more of a thorough look, and I found another three henley blocks tucked away under the proteus board.
Come on now, we haven't got 3D photos on the board yet - how were we supposed to see those in the first picture :rolleyes:

EDIT: Does show the value of thermal imaging though.

EDIT: Does show the value of thermal imaging though.
True, but if that lot really was at 80°C or so, then I might have expected the old fashioned techniques (touch and smell) to have identified the location of the problem!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back