That 9/11 programme last night

If I remember correctly the central core of the structure was the main support. The surrounding floors/walls etc were tied to this by triangular struts, which normally would provide a good load bearing, (think-roof trusses).

On impact a lot of these cross supports would instantly have disintergrated leaving heavy concrete floors/ceilings spanning a gap which was too wide to support their weight. The result was that these floors/ceilings then began to sag towards the centre of the building before reaching their breaking point and crashing onto the lower floors.

This combined weight would then start to bring the whole structure down like a pack of cards. Now, bearing in mind that these floors would also have a lot of heavy equipment on them from computer terminals/filing cabinets/desks and a host of other commercial equipment, not to mention electrical distribution sectors, elevators and asociated motors and control gear then you are talking about some serious weight issues.

By collapsing towards the centre this actually may have saved lives by collapsing into a relatively small footprint. Imagine how many more may have been killed if they had 'toppled' over so spreading their destructive force over a wider area and bringing down some of the surrounding buildings.
As for the emergency services going in, it is in their nature to put the lives of others over everything else. They weren't bothered about the building they were concerned with saving lives, sadly it cost a great many of them theirs.
As WOBS says, 'Such bravery by so many'.
We should all have the greatest respect for these people and utter contempt for the perpatrators.

Sponsored Links
Imagine being stationed here... Engine 10-Ladder 10, located at 124 Liberty St. A narrow street width or so from the South tower... 1st responders.
fire.jpg

--

conny, the office floors were supported evenly between the core and the outer walls. The columns up the outside of the tower supported the floors as much as the core. The floor trusses also gave the outer columns lateral support - they prevented them bowing out or in, and made the whole thing more rigid. There were dampers between the floors and the outer columns though, to prevent the sway of the tower being transmitted to the offices.

The way I understand it, all the heavy equipment was in the core (elevator motors and plant rooms), and there were specific floors for substations and other equipment.

This meant when the plane hit, there was a hell of a lot of weight not supported going up the tower, though it was designed to transfer its weight, since at every 3rd level, there were cross beams that transferred weight across the columns to prevent stress in normal circumstances.

However, because the floors had collapsed acros several levels, the core was damaged and the outer wall had been severely compromised, the fire caused several members in each tower to buckle, they had no lateral support and gave way under immense pressure.

If the towers hadn't collapsed that day, and the fires extingiushed, would they have been salvagable?

Sponsored Links
Well Steve... who knows? Id like to think so but Im a fantasist and not a realist.

I wish they were re-built... same external features, the whole 'works' if you like.

I saw them (and had breakfast with an old school friend) in the North tower in 1997.

The most amazing pictures I took, were not from the top, but from the bottom on a cold February morning. 11 degrees imperial whatever that is in Celsius.

We now look to Dubai and The Far East for these immense structures, but nothing will take away the memory of the 'Twin Towers' for me.

Paul

The Americans had it coming.
They rode rough shod over Islamic countries for years. Its just a pity the UK have been dragged into their war on terror.
The ira's coffers were/are swollen by american donations to the "cause" and now they are reaping what they sow. :rolleyes:

The UK oil interests are just the same as the USA interests - that's what the war on 'terror (read oil) is all about.

Still going on with Libya too (Lockerbie bomber release).

Good job there's not much oil left then ... No more oil ... No more terrorism hey Joe :LOL:

Wind farm terror?

MW

even without oil there will always be those better off than others or exploiting others, so there will always be some who have a grievance

that will be the same thermite that they have shown couldnt melt through the steel beams and cause the collapse?

To drag innocent people into any political war is the lowest form of scum IMO. Not that I agree with murder but if someone or some ‘body’ has a grievance then take it out on the politicians – not the innocent!

When I watched that documentary I admit I wept. (Yeah, I know men aren’t supposed to but I was on my own so, like the tree that fell in the forest…)

TBH I’m not sure if I blame politics or religion, but I’ve never heard of an atheist suicide bomber.

that will be the same thermite that they have shown couldnt melt through the steel beams and cause the collapse?

"they" have also said aircraft fuel doesnt burn a high enough temp to burn steel

have you seen the steel columns at the base "cut" at a 45 degree angle and the demolition experts stating thats how they demolish buildings?

the 7th tower came down on 911 but had not been damaged except for fire and the owner made the mistake of saying they dedcided to demolish it ON THE SAME DAY..how the fk did they manage that,without setting up explosives it had also just been insured.It has also been proven that if you drop a brick from the top of the wtc it would take 11sec to hit the ground,the same time it took for the tallest building in the world at one time to completely fall to the ground with no resistance whatsoever.

there is also testamonies of nyc fire fighters and audio tapes of explosions in the basement (the plane never hit there) and on other levels.

So "they" can say whatever they like but those planes never brought down those 3 buildings

Sponsored Links
Back