The CE mark, is it still required?

There are some things immigrants do because Brits won't.

Marrying Nigel Farage, for example.

Sponsored Links
Due to housing policy and benefit rules many of our own people are prevented from "migrating" from, say, Hull, to, say, London, whereas somebody from Gdansk or Hyderabad has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Totally and utterly correct on the first points, but as to the first part of last one, by definition, people requiring housing benefit, often (but not always) aren't working, yet always seem state the number of bedrooms they want, whereas Eastern Europeans want a job, and will rough it, sharing a bed in shifts if necessary, so are happy to migrate from Gdansk, where they've got equally crappy housing, but no job.

The question should be: Why do we give jobs to migrants when there are so many jobless British people? The answers are many...
The question should be why if there are so many vacancies someone would think that any jobs are being given to migrants in preference to British people.

Oh - hang on - I know - it's because that person is a poorly educated ignorant racist.

Due to housing policy and benefit rules many of our own people are prevented from "migrating" from, say, Hull, to, say, London, whereas somebody from Gdansk or Hyderabad has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Totally and utterly correct on the first points, but as to the first part of last one, by definition, people requiring housing benefit, often (but not always) aren't working, yet always seem state the number of bedrooms they want, whereas Eastern Europeans want a job, and will rough it, sharing a bed in shifts if necessary, so are happy to migrate from Gdansk, where they've got equally crappy housing, but no job.
To be frank the same is also true in reverse. In 1980 we had unemployment and I went abroad to work, I actually went to Algeria and although it was not designed to be that way, we found our Portacabins were leaking and we also went to working night shifts so we could share beds. We did not work to Algerian rules for example we did not stop work to pray, or stop eating or drinking during the day in Ramadan which was in hight of summer. We in fact broke more rules as Brits and Dutch in Algeria than than the Polish break in the UK. As to work permits most of us were using a holiday vista and were breaking all the rules by working. We even smuggled money into the country. We were far worse than most of the emigrants who come to our country, we spent very little of our cash in Algeria we were paid in UK pounds in the UK from Holland pre EU membership rules as they are today so worked tax free with standard hours 12 hours a day 13 days a fortnight, 8 weeks on 2 weeks off. Plus overtime. I was earning £283 per week when wage in UK was around £90 per week for a tradesman. So as Brits we are no different to the Polish in fact likely a lot worse.

Be it Algeria, Falklands or Hong Kong when working abroad I did things which not only are not allowed in the UK, they were not really allowed in the country I was working in. If things went wrong, we got out of the country fast. The same does happen in the UK, my son worked for a short time for a firm who did PAT and installation testing, nearly every electrician working for them broke the rules, it was only way to earn any money, be it sleeping in cars, driving to work and exceeding the working time directive as a result, or not doing the testing correctly. Like working abroad, if caught they were sacked and company denied all knowledge of wrong doing. Some times we really do need to open our eyes to what happens in the real world.

Sponsored Links
If you think leaving the EU will suddenly stop well educated, well trained migrants coming in you're wrong. If you think it'll stop illegal migrants coming in and under cutting the minimum wage you're wrong. And if you think it means suddenly the government will invest in education and skills training, housing of the NHS I bet you're wrong too.

But yeah... Maybe they'll take CE off stuff. Well worth the billions our economy has lost since Thursday

Nicely put Eric, no one minds those that work hard, and no, we're not going to stop immigration, nor all the other stupidities that go on, but maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to get rid of those we don't want. This may appear a racist comment, but I'd send back all the illegal migrants from France that think it's okay to beat up people to get into this country, or those that destroy their passport to lie about origins. Are any of these people going to be a benefit to this country.

How do we protect the woman who took in a 15 year old refugee, only for him to disappear after two weeks, then he comes back and breaks in and attacks her, and it turns out he's actually 23.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long before this thread is locked? .

Not long probably. Calling someone racist always wins the argument and brings it to a satisfactory conclusion!
My logic is irrefutable.

Unless you can show that, for example, the residents of Hampshire object to people from Gloucestershire coming in and taking their jobs, their houses, their school places, their hospital beds etc, then the only reason that someone from England could object to people from France coming in to live and work would be racism.

Nicely put Eric, no one minds those that work hard,
Are you aware that if you look at those of working age, a higher % of EU migrants into this country work than the % of equivalent UK citizens? And that both figures are higher than the % of non-EU immigrants?

Remind me again how it therefore makes sense to stop the most productive of all groups coming here?

maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to get rid of those we don't want.
Please explain which legal EU migrants we don't want, and why.

This may appear a racist comment, but I'd send back all the illegal migrants from France that think it's okay to beat up people to get into this country, or those that destroy their passport to lie about origins.
Remind me again how severing our links with the EU will make it easier for us to deal with illegal immigrants?

Unless you can show that, for example, the residents of Hampshire object to people from Gloucestershire coming in and taking their jobs, their houses, their school places, their hospital beds etc, then the only reason that someone from England could object to people from France coming in to live and work would be racism.

Why do people come up with such fatuous arguments to try and justify their opinion. People move around the country in small numbers, but are currently moving from one country to another in much larger numbers. There's nothing racist in it whatsoever, but a very poor attempt to justify your viewpoint. Stop demeaning yourself BAS

I totally agree with Bas. How many Irish are there in England?

What is the difference in this day of speedy travel and instant communications?

Why do people come up with such fatuous arguments to try and justify their opinion. People move around the country in small numbers, but are currently moving from one country to another in much larger numbers. There's nothing racist in it whatsoever, but a very poor attempt to justify your viewpoint. Stop demeaning yourself BAS

I am not demeaning myself.

You, and the other ignorant, racists/xenophobes who, like racists and xenophobes down the ages blame "the foreigner" for the ills of this country, are the one who is demeaning us - people like you disgust me and make me ashamed of my country.

My argument is not fatuous - you are trying to portray it as such because you know it is unassailable. If we don't mind people moving from Peterborough to Portsmouth, it cannot be anything other than racism/xenophobia to object to them moving from Gdansk to Godalming.

Are you aware that if you look at those of working age, a higher % of EU migrants into this country work than the % of equivalent UK citizens? And that both figures are higher than the % of non-EU immigrants?

Remind me again how it therefore makes sense to stop the most productive of all groups coming here?

Excuse me, just what part of "no one minds those that work hard" goes against what you're accusing me of. I was agreeing with what you're trying to say.

Please explain which legal EU migrants we don't want, and why.

How about the one's that come over her just looking for work - which even Cameron wanted to stop.

Remind me again how severing our links with the EU will make it easier for us to deal with illegal immigrants?

I've never said it would; I've always maintained that we've got a pathetic government that's got us into this mess in the first place. But at least we wouldn't have the European courts telling us tat we can't deport the people that we want to.

Excuse me, just what part of "no one minds those that work hard" goes against what you're accusing me of. I was agreeing with what you're trying to say.
Well - maybe I am wrong, and feel free to correct me, but I have the impression that you voted to leave. Given that one of the reasons, and for many the major reason, they did so was to "regain control of our borders" then what you voted for was to stop the people who work the hardest from being able to come here.

How about the one's that come over her just looking for work - which even Cameron wanted to stop.
I seem to recall a former senior Tory talking (in a positive, admiring way) about how when his father couldn't find work he got on his bike and went looking for it.

If you think it's OK for someone from Ponders End to do that, but it's not OK for someone from Prague to do it then you are a racist. You are discriminating against the unemployed carpenter from Croatia in a way which you do not discriminate against the unemployed bricklayer from Bromsgrove.

You are a racist.

I've never said it would; I've always maintained that we've got a pathetic government that's got us into this mess in the first place. But at least we wouldn't have the European courts telling us tat we can't deport the people that we want to.
Please explain how the EU has prevented us from deporting who we would like.

I suggest you do not mention anything to do with the European Court of Human Rights, as that is not an EU institution, so any attempt to conflate it with the EU will only serve to further highlight how ignorant you are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back