The crumbustion chamber?

LOL , You do gas for a living , and you call me dishonest? I earn my pay.

Bet you're earning over 50 sovs an hour to keep yourself in the luxury
you're accustomed to?

I dont get paid by the hour.
:LOL:

Of course, I don't either but if you work it back to a rough hourly rate
I bet you're well over that. Yet you begrudge the old plumbers earning a
bit? How harsh for a man of your means.

Sponsored Links

you're accustomed to?

Ah, so they're plumbers now? Because I remember somebody on here getting quite offended when they were labelled as a plumber instead of a gas engineer (fitter).

Just an observation.

Gas fitting is simple, common sense work shrouded in bureaucracy by individuals who have the most to gain by so doing.

It's a scandal, everyone knows it and, as a result would sooner DIY it than get ripped off.

Educate people to DIY safely is the common sense approach.

MW

Do you really think that I would entertain you...

And please.... Not gas fitters humour.... Bad enough putting wrong to right...
Another sad quote from someone that has lost the plot. You couldn't even quote factually. You couldn't entertain me Gerrumph as we prefer people with an IQ more than your normal amoeba.

Sponsored Links

you're accustomed to?

Hang on a sec , let me get this straight , you think I earn over 50 quid an hour? really?
What do you think I do for a living?

Truthfully no idea. I guessed from other posts of yours you must earn a
reasonable wage. £50 an hours quite average these days unless you work for someone else.

you're accustomed to?

Ah, so they're plumbers now? Because I remember somebody on here getting quite offended when they were labelled as a plumber instead of a gas engineer (fitter).

Just an observation.

A lot of gas fitters do plumbing too. Didn't mean to offend. As for the
"engineer" title I don't assume it. I save that for people who have
studied at university for years.

Gas fitting is simple, common sense work shrouded in bureaucracy by individuals who have the most to gain by so doing.

It's a scandal, everyone knows it and, as a result would sooner DIY it than get ripped off.

MW
Of course it is - common sense always prevails. That's why we have to spend vast amounts on training, assessments etc so that you, Joe public can be safe. I have seen loads of DIY gas/ plumbing/electrical work etc.
A fair majority of Joe public haven't got a clue - and when it comes to gas safety, I wouldn't want to live next door to them.

A plumber is a gasman with his brains removed.
Trouble is now people think a gasman is someone who repairs bits on boilers which is relatively easy to do .

Look in the CC and supposedly trained people are scared to work on back boilers /open flued boilers and gas fires and struggle with first year apprentice stuff on pressures things are tested at.

Personally i think that is very limited training and they have not got a clue what is right what is wrong and what could potentionally go wrong.

I think a better name for a lot of these new generation gasmen is Boiler repairman.

As for making money its all swings and roundabout charging a guy 2k for 4 short days work this week can i justify it yes because he charges himself out at 900 quid a day.

MW

You've got to love people will attitudes like these! What do you do for a living then? Brain surgeon? Rocket scientist? :LOL:

Gas fitters have nothing to gain from extra bureaucracy as it's extra cost for the business. Do you think we enjoy playing hundreds of pounds a year for registration and nearly 1k every 5 years to renew our quals?

Think most people would call you tight-fisted tbh. Would rather risk peoples safety by doing diy gas work than pay a professional to do it. Probably a good thing you do everything yourself. You sound like the typical customer that all tradesmen dread when they pull up in the van!

Great idea though about educating people to do diy gas work correctly. I'm sure you'd easily fit all the knowledge required into a small leaflet or quick 30 second advert on t.v. Great idea, why hasn't somebody thought of this before? :rolleyes:

Great idea though about educating people to do diy gas work correctly. I'm sure you'd easily fit all the knowledge required into a small leaflet or quick 30 second advert on t.v. Great idea, why hasn't somebody thought of this before? :rolleyes:
The Big Bang Theory? :D

megawatt said:

At last! A pearl of wisdom emerges from the slanging match. :) :) :) Depriving people of information does NOT stop them from trying to do stuff they don't understand. In the not so distant past we tried keeping teenagers ignorant about sex in the vain hope that they would go and do something else instead. That worked well didn't it! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've worked my way through the whole thread and I'm sorry to say that it's mostly insults. Take those away and a lot of what's left is gas fitters trying to protect a monopoly which, to be fair, has cost them a lot of money.

Way back in the sixties I followed the arguments between radio hams - who had to pass an exam to get their license - and advocates of CB radio. None of the technical arguments would hold water and it always came back to "We earned our licenses and we're b****y well not sharing the airwaves with a bunch of ignorant twerps." :evil: :evil: :evil: The same attitude runs right through this thread. :( :( :(

There are people out there who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a gas pipe - or a light switch - or even a car! (Next time a car has to brake suddenly because you weren't paying attention, be thankful that its brake pipes aren't patched up with pieces of plastic tubing! :eek: :eek: :eek: )

But those people won't know who they are if nobody tells them. :!: :!: :!: Educate them about the potential dangers of all these things and tell them how to do the job properly. They might just decide that they really aren't up to it and get a professional in. Keep them ignorant and they'll quite likey do the job anyway with information obtained from behind the proverbial bike shed. :!: :!: :!:

University students pay £9000 per year for their education whereas a gas fitter complains about spending £1000 every five years? Never met an educated one yet.

University students pay £9000 per year for their education whereas a gas fitter complains about spending £1000 every five years? Never met an educated one yet.

I know it doesn't seem fair really. I was working for an university educated "engineer" last week. I was shocked to find out I made 4 times what he does, as boiler basher. He was struggling to pay off his student debt, just to make it worse. The real irony was what he payed me for an hour just to fix a simple fault on his boiler. I can see why some of you folk get bitter.

Wrong again Joe they are not paying 9k yet.
And some of us done proper apprenticeships that meant earning a third of what your mates where earning for labouring on sites or working in factories.
So that we could make big money afterwards a bit like a university degree is meant to do for them

Never met an educated one yet ,is that student then i do agree with you ;)

Sponsored Links
Back