The order of installation for fixing a Ped. Basin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would be the order of installation for fixing a pedestal and basin?
ie. would one start by marking the holes and fixing the basin?
How would the order differ, if at all, when fixing two-taps or a mono-block?
On first fix would one set the supplies and waste to perfect centres and heights or would one set the waste to one side a little.

Sponsored Links
I assemble it and push it back to wall with a level across it while assistant marks for holes. Drill upward at an angle, silicone between pedestal and basin, silicone beneath pedestal.

Pipework through floor? three holes waste central.

through wall? three holes waste central.

Hybrid? waste wall, pipes floor? waste central, pipes either side.

Can it be any more complicated?

Oh forgot silicone at back of basin as you push it against wall, and afterwards around the top and ised for good measure.

Sounds like a NVQ question to me :LOL: .......What`s the height of a basin without pedestal...ans. Cock height :LOL: :LOL: You`re lucky to have an assistant, Paul :eek: I never got one in 15 years :cry: baths and cast iron wall mounted boilers etc......... that`s why my joints are buggereded They don`t know they`re born today .blah, blah.... ;)

Well you know how it is, you begrudge all the time they spend talking to customers about themselves and upseting your good customer relations, especially when they start talking about you or other customers, and all the times they are sat in the van as a tourist while you service boilers, but when there is some work for them to do you're glad of them. It's a luxury you know you are paying for, you earn nothing out of the relationship but spare yorself that little bit of extra ardure. I recon it's worth paying for.

Apart from which where do you get the extra had for the felt tip when you have one on the level one on the pedestal and your body against the rest of it.

I know sometimes you get it balanced take pot luck mark it and pray.

Sponsored Links
Very true.tried to get my 2 boys interested in the plumbing game....no chance :rolleyes: But the younger is getting into custom painting of bikes, so I`m going to have a go @ that...If it goes wrong ,Give it a coat of matt black and call it a Ratbike ;)

PaulBarker said:
Drill upward at an angle,
Errm, most basins use them bolts with big plasic washers now. Don't you find you have to drill for those "straight"?

I read the instructions on the last one I did :eek: :eek: :eek: and it said that the pedestal should not support the basin.
Considering they rarely fit and you really need a soft washer or something when they do, I didn't think that was as daft an idea as it sounded at first.
So I adjusted the the basin, once almost finally fixed, and filled the uneven, 6mm or so gap to the pedestal with u no wot; fine.

You mean like the bolts some pans come with, m8 nut on top woodscrew thread on bottom? That would be a good idea for basins, I never bought a basin yet that came with instructions or screws.

For that matter never usually get fibre washers with tap connectors.

Recon my merchant must sweep a pile of fibre washers and basin screws into the bin at the end of the day.

Fischer basin fixing set, about £2.50 - saves hours of indiscriminate drilling of entirely innocent walls!

P.S. Oh and a basin waste washer about £1 - no leaks from the waste - ever!

Right thanks, I take it the waste washers are like the rubber bit on an essex flange or like the donut from the close coupled kit but right size for job?

That's what's needed so why don't they include them with the waste kit? Because they obviously never fitted one in their lives.

I still use hemp and boss white in that application but would be less messy and quicker to have a correctly designed rubber part.

Waste washer - I needed one Friday for one where some lag had put plumbers mate everywhere and it failed like it always does.
Was surprised to find in Plumbcenter, own branded :

Selected Product: C54091
Description CENTER UNIVERSAL BASIN MATE WASTE SEAL
Retail Price
(Excluding VAT and quantity discounts) £1.79

This is the conical rubber washer with the cupped translucent plastic one which holds it in; perfect.

Paul Barker said:
Right thanks, I take it the waste washers are like the rubber bit on an essex flange or like the donut from the close coupled kit but right size for job?

That's what's needed so why don't they include them with the waste kit? Because they obviously never fitted one in their lives.

I still use hemp and boss white in that application but would be less messy and quicker to have a correctly designed rubber part.

You're quite right, they should be included. It's a perfect example of a new fitting that vastly out performs the old method of achieving the same result but without the possibility of having to re-do the job.

I discovered them by accident on the suggestion of a helpful bloke at a plumbers merchants.

i allways use sanitary nuetral cure clear silicone. have done 4 yrs & they never leak & never need a washer. Under the flange then 12mm bead around waste before back nut then smear excess around thread at bottom of back nut. u can buy it on line from unifix.

ah but with silicone you have to assemble it day before, with hemp and boss white you are ready to go, and never leaks.

However these rubber seals are what we want, come Monday morning every Plumb centre in the country will be bereft of stock of them.

Isn't the net a wonderful thing. Great to share techniques.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back