Thermocouple gone after 5 months!

Steady on lads, no fighting over an old boiler!

After refusing to work all day, I decided to have one last go last night. Held the button in for over a minute, and it worked! Pilot stayed on all night and at present, is still on. I don't want to spend money on it, as we're getting a combo boiler in the new year, so fingers crossed it will limp along until then.

I did that on my mum's old boiler a year or so back - after holding the gas button in for well over a minute, the pilot stayed on for some reason - and it lasted a good 3 months until the boiler was replaced.

Does anyone know why this happens - ie holding the gas button in longer somehow keeps the pilot on - I'm thinking more current can get through to the solenoid this way as the t/c itself is failing?...

Sponsored Links
n

Does anyone know why this happens - ie holding the gas button in longer somehow keeps the pilot on - I'm thinking more current can get through to the solenoid this way as the t/c itself is failing?...[/quote]

Hi seven

The thermocouple will not sent the required current unless it recieves enough heat from the pilot flame, as stated earlier, the thermocouple should glow a dull red when heated. If it does not do this then it is likely that the pilot flame needs to be adjusted or the pilot jet is partly blocked. Therefore, it follows that if the thermocouple is glowing a dull red but does not fire the boiler then it is failing or the there is another fault with the ignition sequence.

There is usually 100-200% overvoltage on a typical thermocouple compared with what is needed to operate the gas valve. This has the effect that they can be significantly inadequately heated before they fail to work.

If there is an O/H stst on this boiler the problem, is most likely to be there.

But until someone has been able to check that then nobody knows.

Tony

Agile- you waffle some ****e mate!

you are either very very clever/ or a complete bull ****er cause i struggle to get my head around some of your posts.

might be me mind :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back