To say, or not to say, that is the question

Would you speak out about the situation described, or something similar ?

• Yes - even though it's nothing to do with me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - safety is everyone's concern and it's my duty to speak up

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No - they've made the choice to go there, not my concern

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No - I feel should do but I don't want to be seen to be interfering

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Not sure - different situations might get different responses

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sponsored Links
I'm off to Chamonix later today and I'll be sure to pass on your concerns to all the people enjoying themselves on the mountains.
You have to admit though Noseall that the situation is slightly different when people are at work. Would you expect your employees to contravene health and safety laws so that you could potentially price lower and get a job done more quickly?
If you were unaware that your employees were taking risks that could potentially land you in court, would you be grateful that a member of the public had informed you or your client of what was going on. Would you then put a stop to their actions or would you still feel that the person doing the reporting was an interfering busybody?

Would you expect your employees to contravene health and safety laws so that you could potentially price lower and get a job done more quickly?
We often work on trestles and makeshift scaffold to make the job more convenient. Nowt to with price.

If you were unaware that your employees were taking risks that could potentially land you in court, would you be grateful that a member of the public had informed you or your client of what was going on. Would you then put a stop to their actions or would you still feel that the person doing the reporting was an interfering busybody?
I'd tell him to mind his own business.

And that's the thing. Customers in the private sector are always seeking the lowest price and will all turn a blind eye as long as it does not effect their own job or wallet. The likes of BAS and his mate will gladly snitch on others but I bet they are happy for cheap and quick when it could affect their own job or wallet.

Makes me puke tossers like that.

Anyway, stop bothering me, I'm too busy packing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Right, so it's nothing do do with a concerned member of the public, and, while you may perceive the risk to be low, once a health and safety law has been contravened by you, or by one of your employees with your knowledge, you have put yourself in a position where you could be dragged through the courts and potentially jailed for a serious injury or death of an employee. It may be rare, but it does happen.
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news...am-basement-death-commercial-director-8217105
I'm not taking anyone's side here - I think there are valid arguments from both ends of the spectrum and I think in most cases there is probably middle ground where most of us could converge *except Ban-All-Sheds...*

Anyway, have a good holiday ;)

Of course you did bud.
Yes, I really did, and knowing the phone system they have (I'm a customer there), they'll have had my phone number as well (they didn't ask for it).
We often work on trestles and makeshift scaffold to make the job more convenient. Nowt to with price.
I don't have a problem with that - both can be used safely if done right. A relative was having some work done, and they used some old rickety tower scaffold, plus milk crates and planks for some rendering about 3-4 foot off the ground. The job got delayed a couple of months when the guy fell off and broke his ankle.
EDIT for clarity: The platform was (up to) 3-4 foot off the ground, and the rendering was being done by a local builder.

Customers in the private sector are always seeking the lowest price and will all turn a blind eye as long as it does not effect their own job or wallet. The likes of BAS and his mate will gladly snitch on others but I bet they are happy for cheap and quick when it could affect their own job or wallet.
I can't speak for BAS, but speaking for myself, I do not go round looking for the cheapest price (not that I have a lot of cash to splash around). And for a job on my own house I would certainly pay attention to how the job was being done. But I do recognise the sort of customer you talk about - knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
If nothing else, now CDM regs apply to domestic works, I'm legally obliged to consider the safety of contractors working on my house :whistle:

There will always be a main contractor, he is called the principle contractor.
Really ? Go read the regs again - carefully. While the majority will have a principal contractor, I can think of some domestic projects where there would be no single contractor fitting the description.

There will always be a main contractor, he is called the principle contractor.
Really ? Go read the regs again - carefully. While the majority will have a principal contractor, I can think of some domestic projects where there would be no single contractor fitting the description.

There is always a principle contractor, whether there are single or multiple contractors. Always.

If you actually manage CDM work, then I'd be interested in your view to compare with how we manage it. But if you just glance out the window at potential CDM work, and this is just what you have read, then I'll pass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back