Uk Mains Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Weird question but is there such a thing as a UK mains plug where the cable isn't wired from the bottom? e.g. from the top or front like european or american cables.

Sponsored Links
Are you sockets in the skirting? (and thus too low to use plugs without over bending the flex).

The solution would be to rewire and put the sockets above the skirting. Although I think it's just wrong, I have seen a solution....

Turn the socket upside down. :eek:

They are above a worktop underneath a breakfast bar top didn't really have much choice for location of the backboxes unless I wanted the bar height to be 1.5m :D - Flex of the cable shouldn't be a problem (If not using pvc cable) There's room but won't look right - american style plugs are ideal for this situation.
I've seen the upside down sockets too :LOL:

Could you use dual back boxes ( the type that take two single plates ) and fit two single sockets on their sides so their cables go out horizontally.

Sponsored Links
Not now, everything's been plastered in and first fix done, don't think that would look too pretty either.

Nah!

Don't do any of that. Just do what this enterprising chap did!

UpsideDownPlug.jpg

What are you wanting to plug into it? Maybe a photo of the current socket in situ would help generate more ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back