Uk Mains Plugs

its a little like this, the room is divided. so you have a small countertop / breakfast bar - you can see the American plugs work well.

traditional-kitchen-countertops.jpg

wonder how the cord grip works on that plug, good idea if a little odd :)

IEC plugs would work but just a little bit industrial, i'd need IEC sockets too if they exist!.

The sockets wont be getting used much as I've others with less of a problem (and 150mm above worktop) they are there simply because you never know! :)

Sponsored Links
Granted those Duraplug couplers I linked to are not intended to be used as standard mains plugs, but having seen one in the flesh they are most certainly up to the job. The only cause for concern I can see would be a little extra leverage on the socket, but no worse than a double adaptor or a plug-in PSU...

Sponsored Links
I don't see any problem with it,
Yes you do, or you wouldn't be posting.

just a flaw with uk plug design.
THAT'S WHAT UK PLUGS ARE LIKE!

Argue all you want about the design being flawed - it won't alter the fact that they are designed that way, and it won't alter the fact that the reality of how they are should have been taken into account when installing sockets.

Whoever decided to put them there was an incompetent fool, and if he then issued an EIC for his work he's a liar.

Whoever decided to put them there was an incompetent fool, and if he then issued an EIC for his work he's a liar.

You mean UK plugs were designed before this kitchen? :cool:

Is there anything in the regs to say you can't put a socket on upside down, or sideways? Looks like OP has very limited options, I guess sideways would be preferable as less chance of something getting into the cable entry than from above.

Or, if as in the photo, are they just too close to the worktop anyway?

OP, how about having them on the other side or end of the breakfast bar, would there be too much re-work for that?

BS 1363 part 1 states that "The entry of the flexible cord shall be between the current-carrying pins at the side of the plug opposite the earth pin" and refers to an illustration for clarity.
I'm told this is for 2 reasons: to avoid the cable entry of the plug sticking out and thereofre being liable to damage, and also to reduce the likelihood that someone will pull the plug from the socket by pulling on the flexible cord.

The bend isn't that bad (about 2" to the bottom of the wall plate), silicone cable would be ideal - but most appliances don't come with that, just pvc - seriously it's not a huge issue as the sockets will get rarely used - I was merely asking if there was any alternatives to the standard entry for UK plugs that's all, and there is, just they are 20 quid a go!
To be honest I can think of many advantages to having alternate cables where the cable comes out horizontally - in 4 way extensions for example, it would make things a lot neater imo. so hardly a silly question surely?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back