unable to buy parts without a corgi ticket horaaayyyyyy

Well somewhen over the next few hours, after 48.8 years in the trade my Kennel Club card expires and I ain't renewing.

Monday I will be Incompetent :rolleyes: :cool: :cool: :rolleyes:

I can however assure are readers that should I required any gas related materials it would NOT be a problem.

Sponsored Links
No time at the moment to put my two-pence worth into the argument suffice to say that I get rather annoyed at customers who think the GSR's are CORGI based. I go to great pains to explain that CORGI are only the "policemen" of the Regs - they do not make 'em (even though, at times, they like to think they do :evil: )

Softus said:
Onetap said:
An elderly lady of my acquaintance smelt gas around a recently installed gas hob, so she called the Corgi registered technician who had installed it. He fixed it. He charged her £50. WTF?
I don't see what's wrong with that.

It was all his work.

It leaked. He charged her to fix it (within 12 months of installation, probably more like 6 months) and it is still leaking.

It wasn't you, was it?
Are you in Kent?

If it is still leaking what are you doing talking on here about it, phone 0800 111 999 imediately and report it, and follow the advise they give.

If it is due to faulty workmanship they will hopefully make out a RIDDOR report. If not, it is right to pay for any ensuing work.

Sponsored Links
Onetap said:
It was all his work.

It leaked. He charged her to fix it (within 12 months of installation, probably more like 6 months) and it is still leaking.
I concur with Paul Barker's comments.

Onetap said:
It wasn't you, was it?
No.

Onetap said:
Are you in Kent?
I am in, but my name isn't Kent.

Paul Barker said:
If it is still leaking what are you doing talking on here about it, phone 0800 111 999 imediately and report it, and follow the advise they give.

I did do that once, a looooooooooong time ago, whilst I was still labouring under the delusion that British Gas were competent.

Now, I'd only do it in for anything upstream of the meter and then I'd watch them very carefully, from a safe distance.

It is leaking. It is way below the LEL, nowhere even close in fact, and the pressure loss is not discernible with a water manometer at the meter. It will wait.

She's had a Corgi man to install it. He said it was safe.
He 'repaired' it when it was found to be leaking; he said it was safe.
It still leaks.
You think she should call a RGI?
Been there and done that.

Paul Barker said:
If it is due to faulty workmanship they will hopefully make out a RIDDOR report. If not, it is right to pay for any ensuing work.

They will cut the gas supply off. You know that. What does she do then? Call a Corgi chap?

You know someone who appears to have had, and/or is having, a bad experience with one RGI, and you tar all RGIs with the same brush - not a very adult outlook.

If you had any semblance of integrity you'd report the RGI to CORGI so that someone who you believe to be incompetent could be taken to task over the problem.

As it is, your laziness and abdication from any culpability is leaving someone at risk - it might be your opinion that the risk is small, but it isn't your place to make that judgment.

Onetap said:
It is leaking. the pressure loss is not discernible with a water manometer at the meter.

how do you know it's leaking? if there is no loss according to the manometer but there is a smell of gas then i would suggest you call the number quoted above.

Softus. whilst I applaud your integrity on matters relating to gas safety, I have to say that I agree there should be a good sound assessment. My bug bear is that this issue is over stated. This immediately puts me on dogy ground as this will be interpreted as I want to lower the standard. this is could not be further from the truth. I know that our record against EU countries does not compare with the expense, effort , and time taken in improving fatalities by gas related installations. I do have to say tho that I cannot at this point relate to the data source. :rolleyes:

I also accept that CORGI are a soft target and they are a statutory requirement, however, there is a way of discharging their responsibilities, and CORGI leave themselves wide open to criticism by their command and control attitude and inability to listen to or observe how other countries or sectors manage safety. Not to mentions their commercial approach to this subject.

Most regulated sectors undertake a risk based approach hence my comment about Kitchen fitters and true gas engineers. I will stick to my point on this one. Providing that the bone fide engineers have records to show his/her work.
Secondly, CORGI can add tremendous value to the gas industry, they choose to act as police men without many statutory powers (not their fault) I admit, but not the cleverest approach to this subject. I would prefer a tough policing for those who flout the law and assistance to those who want to get develop.

This whole subject is skewed because the moral high ground is safety, and anyone who dares to challenge this is immediately borated. I do however appreciate the tone of your response, but this should not be an excuse to subject the industry to high cost, and onerous processes when EU countries have at the least a comparable record, (some better) without subjecting the sector to what we are subjected to. When I get more time I will endeavor to show this information. Until then I dare say this is a void argument.

I continue to alongside CRI's who just amaze me with their dangerous approach to gas, complacency is just as dangerous. So my main argument is that the registration system, as currently is, does not act effectively in protecting the consumer and the voice of those who are competent are lost in the many voices who pretend to act in the interest of gas safety and in reality are there to protect their market share and when the costs are this high who can blame them! But I for one would rather compete on quality than a protectionist psoition.

Last point, It has taken me a long while to develop my skills and they are considered the same as every one else on the register and I get a lot of work from exasperated customers who have employed CRGI's.

Softus said:
You know someone who appears to have had, and/or is having, a bad experience with one RGI, and you tar all RGIs with the same brush - not a very adult outlook.

No, lad.
I've had bad experiences with lots of RGIs.
In fact I have bad experiences with RGIs on a regular basis; especially about heating related, but non-gas matters.

For example, we had a discussion on this forum, during which you stated that you saw no necessity to fit regulating valves on a secondary DHWS circulating system. Quite a gob-smackingly bad piece of ignorance for the Heating Engineer/RGI and font of wisdom on all heating related matters
that you are.

When I had patiently explained the necessity for the regulating valves, you were obnoxiously rude in return.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=573827#573827

Yet another bad experience with an RGI to add to my collection.

Softus said:
If you had any semblance of integrity you'd report the RGI to CORGI so that someone who you believe to be incompetent could be taken to task over the problem.

As it is, your laziness and abdication from any culpability is leaving someone at risk - it might be your opinion that the risk is small, but it isn't your place to make that judgment.

You're going to tell me about integrity and culpability are you?
We could expect CORGI to do what, exactly?

We all know it's safe. An RGI has said so.

mgheating said:
how do you know it's leaking? if there is no loss according to the manometer but there is a smell of gas then i would suggest you call the number quoted above.

Leak detection fluid. One visible joint under the hob, found to be leaking.
I checked the pressure loss to see whether there might be other leaks from inaccessible pipework.

With an electronic differential pressure meter.

It's difficult to a find bit of your post that isn't sarcastic.

FYI, sonny boy, I'm not, and never have been, an RGI, have never said that I am, and have never pretended that I am.

Your grip on facts and reality is far too shaky to make this discussion worth continuing.

Onetap said:
Paul Barker said:

I did do that once, a looooooooooong time ago, whilst I was still labouring under the delusion that British Gas were competent.

Now, I'd only do it in for anything upstream of the meter and then I'd watch them very carefully, from a safe distance.

It is leaking. It is way below the LEL, nowhere even close in fact, and the pressure loss is not discernible with a water manometer at the meter. It will wait.

She's had a Corgi man to install it. He said it was safe.
He 'repaired' it when it was found to be leaking; he said it was safe.
It still leaks.
You think she should call a RGI?
Been there and done that.

Paul Barker said:

They will cut the gas supply off. You know that. What does she do then? Call a Corgi chap?

hmm, just clear this up for me cos im a little confused.

1)what do BG have to do with this ridiculous tale of yours?

2)you are quite happy to leave a gas leak under a hob, which may get worse and be a real danger, simply because you dont trust any RGI because of one RGI's failure to repair a leak which you have admitted is not discernable on a guage.

3)after you have finished pondering your next move over the coming weeks, who will you be getting to repair the leak?

If leak is big enough to bubble it`s big enough to show on a gauge.. How can anyone justify slagging RGI`s when they ignore the basics .."Any smell of gas no matter how small a drop is a instant turn off untill fixed".

Not boasting about finding it then left for months and probably getting worse. Most hob`s are fitted above ovens not exactly the best place to have a leak in a confined spacewhere LEL can be reached very easily

nickso said:
hmm, just clear this up for me cos im a little confused.

1)what do BG have to do with this ridiculous tale of yours?

You sound more like a big confused.

It is ridiculous, but it is true.

BG have nothing to do with this tale.

They had a starring role in one of my first adventures with the UK gas industry; it was worse, much, much, worse than the sorry tale I've recounted above.

In my naivete, I had then assumed that BG and gas fitters knew about gas. With much experience since then, the words 'Corgi' or 'gas fitter' set the mental alarm bells going. There are competent gas technicians. I am not inclined to trust any gas fitter that I don't know; this is solely as a result of my experiences since then.

nickso said:
2)you are quite happy to leave a gas leak under a hob, which may get worse and be a real danger, .

Why would it get worse? There's no oven under it.
It's probably been leaking since installation. I got involved less than 2 weeks ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back