unable to buy parts without a corgi ticket horaaayyyyyy

Sponsored Links
Onetap said:
nickso said:
RGi or not you seem to think yourself competent so why not just fix it?

120ish mile round trip, I'll fix it when I'm there next.
Why should I ( or anyone else) have to fix it?

well if no one has to fix it why the big fuss and condemnation of the RGI that you believe left the leak in the first place? you dont even have proof that anyone but you has left a leak.

you are damn quick to berate someone else for leaving a leak but seem to be a little cavalier about your own responsibility.

nickso said:
Onetap said:
Why should I ( or anyone else) have to fix it?

well if no one has to fix it why the big fuss and condemnation of the RGI that you believe left the leak in the first place? you don't even have proof that anyone but you has left a leak.

This is very hard work.

Someone has got to fix it, that someone is probably me.

Why should I have to fix work carried out by a Registered Gas Installer? Why was it left leaking? Left leaking TWICE! Can't RGIs be trusted?

Those who suggested that it might get worse, or that it wasn't left leaking, haven't offered any explanation as to how that might happen. So what might be going on here? Earthquake? Meteorite? Lightning strike, leak fairies, gremlins, subsidence, spring-loaded self-undoing nuts?

The probable explanation is the simplest (that Occam's razor); the man is incompetent, solely interested in pocketing £50 from someone who can ill afford it and racing off to the next job. This is quite commonplace.

Why would I turn it off? I couldn't smell gas, she can't smell gas, no-one there could smell gas. The permissible pressure drop would allow a leak 10 to 16 times the magnitude of this one (assuming there was no smell). I'm comfortable with it.

So I've recounted my sorry tale about one RGI and the RGIs have told me that I'm a liar, that I've made it up, that I'm incompetent, etc.. No actual suggestions as to how best to address the problem of the incompetent RGI, save that from CLS-Gas. No suggestions as to how to recover the wasted £50.

My opinion of gas technicians was pretty low as a result of my dealings with them. I don't trust them. It's gone down another few notches. I trust asbestos removal contractors even less. As for estate agents.....

Going back to the original topic;

Onetap said:
heating tech said:
hi i have been an engineer ref 001465 for over 25 years....................

heating tech

I'll have to check the details of the rest of your post so no comment at the moment.

I didn't trust him. It seems he was completely wrong. No surprise.

Sponsored Links
Forget about smell of gas, you have proved to your self beyond doubt that there is a leak, therefore it goes off or has to be fixed.

Edit; just checked your original post. You say elderly lady reported smell of gas and you found joint leaking.

Open and shut case, you should have turned off gas or repaired then, would have saved the 120 mile round trip again. I rest my case M'lud :rolleyes:

gas4you said:
Forget about smell of gas, you have proved to your self beyond doubt that there is a leak, therefore it goes off or has to be fixed.

Edit; just checked your original post. You say elderly lady reported smell of gas and you found joint leaking.

Open and shut case, you should have turned off gas or repaired then, would have saved the 120 mile round trip again. I rest my case M'lud :rolleyes:

Yes, you'd better report it to the gas gestapo.

PS. No, she's elderly and doesn't smell much :LOL: .
She smelt gas, he 'fixed' it. After that, she couldn't smell gas. Then; "A young relative of this lady thought there was still an intermittent smell of gas."

Onetap said:

this really is a confused statement

one minute you are banging on about this gas leak being terrible and how dare the RGI have left it, next minute you are referring to the gas gestapo (really, you could have phrased this better). You really should make your mind up.

mgheating said:
Onetap said:

this really is a confused statement

I think it's called sarcasm.
You heard it here first, but there is no gas gestapo.

If there's no-one to enforce the gas regulations, what do you think might happen?

It's been a bit showery here, but yesterday evening was nice.

Onetap said:
I think it's called sarcasm.
You heard it here first, but there is no gas gestapo.

If there's no-one to enforce the gas regulations, what do you think might happen?

It's been a bit showery here, but yesterday evening was nice.

you really are a silly little man

mgheating said:
you really are a silly little man

More pointless abuse from an RGI. Do try to be little more civil tel.
No answers though.

Onetap said:
This is very hard work.

you at least got that right.

Why would I turn it off? I couldn't smell gas, she can't smell gas, no-one there could smell gas. The permissible pressure drop would allow a leak 10 to 16 times the magnitude of this one (assuming there was no smell). I'm comfortable with it.
She smelt gas, he 'fixed' it. After that, she couldn't smell gas. Then; "A young relative of this lady thought there was still an intermittent smell of gas."

which is it?

The probable explanation

that is conclusive proof after all.

Those who suggested that it might get worse, or that it wasn't left leaking, haven't offered any explanation as to how that might happen. So what might be going on here? Earthquake? Meteorite? Lightning strike, leak fairies, gremlins, subsidence, spring-loaded self-undoing nuts?

locusts?

---------------------------------------------

this is clearly going nowhere. you are arguing pointlessly.

you dont trust RGI's who leave leaks but are happy to leave the same leak and somehow think this is ok as you havent charged for the priviledge. you cant see how wrong and ironic that is. :LOL:

i cant be arsed arguing the toss anymore so just get in your car and fix the leak will you.

Since Onetap is apparently not registered with CORGi then he should not be working on gas !

Obviously he knows a lot about gas matters and I am happy to say that he seems to know more than many and perhaps most CORGIs.

That does not alter the fact that he should not be working on gas at all.

He has also overlooked the fact that the water gauge is still the approved method of doing a tightness test and if the leak is not measurable with a water gauge then "there is no leak" in terms of the test !

Tony

Definitely copper mites. Little bastards love eating through brass olives and the like. They`re green and normally congregate around bottom of rad valves and stuffing glands on gate valves.

Didn`t realise they liked gas as well.

Paul

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Fixed.
No old dears blown up in Kent recently, you will all be sorry to hear.

It must have been just slightly more than finger tight. Tightened 1/8 th turn or so, no leak. Very, very strange. I can't imagine how it could have been left leaking like that unintentionally, after a call -back.

What is he (the RGI) at? I have no theory about deviousness, now I'm just really baffled.

Agile said:
Since Onetap is apparently not registered with CORGi then he should not be working on gas !

Not correct, Tony, as you know. In this case, I shouldn't have had to.

Agile said:
He has also overlooked the fact that the water gauge is still the approved method of doing a tightness test and if the leak is not measurable with a water gauge then "there is no leak" in terms of the test !Tony

No, I hadn't. A U-tube isn't very good at indicating the presence or absence of small leaks. If asked to look for leaking joints in a kitchen cupboard, I'd expect you'd probably make use of a leak detection fluid or a combustible gas detector.

Should the U-tube still be the approved method?

The permissible leakage may have been OK in the days of screwed steel pipes, floorboards, open fireplaces and leaky sash windows. Now we've got chipboard floors, uPVC windows, laminate floors, expanding foam sealant, sealants and air-tightness tests in the Building Regs. The typical air infiltration rate must be much reduced and the gas is more likely to accumulate to an explosive concentration. Electronics have got cheaper and an electronic meter can be much more precise, although more liable to failure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back