unbiased advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can we get some unbiased input please

We have a triancoTSO 6585 oil boiler and was told by our engineer 5 years ago and every year when it comes to servicing that as long as he can get parts then not to worry, although we have asked about energy effeciency on a G rated boiler.

We were alarmed recently when a new company came to service the boiler and condemed it on the grounds that it was immediately dangerous and told us not to use it.

Upon closer inspection the two baffle boxes were warped, twisted and seams pulling a part and burnt through. The flame inspection plate that should have had a glass insert for viewing had in fact a peice of tin that had fallen, out allowing CO to leak into the room.
The flue which extends up to the roof is not the original one and had been adapted by using detachable stainless steel that slots to gether. It became obvious that the flue has never been checked or cleaned as the sprung loaded clips have been twisted with wire to sercure in all the 5 yrs we have lived here. The flue has never been dismantled or cleaned

The top cover plate was adapted to facilatate the flue, but is not a tight fit so once again allowing Co to leak. The rock wool for insulation under the cover plate was pure black and evident of carbon discharge.

Where the boiler is situated we are informed that there should be a high and low level air vent. What concerns us is the lack of air flow as we had double glazing fitted.
So over the last 5 years we would have been subjected to CO escape

so the dllema is this

1. Do we get the baffles replaced and a new peice of glass. and get the new lid, minimum costs perhaps £100. we hope to sell the house this year, but want a safe boiler, but we might not recoupe the costs of a new boiler.

2. How effecient are these G rated boilers when it comes to fuel effeciency
I understand a lot of heat will be exspelled up the flue, but then you have to weigh the cost of £3.500 for a new cobination replacement boiler.
With modern technology has anyone designed a system to retrieve the wasted heat by incorparating a heat exchange unit, or could you have some form of water tank that would sit around the out side of the stainless steel flue so as the flue gets hot. It would in effect warm up your water tank. Before i get linched these are my private thoughts and wonder if any one has developed any systems, as were to to be more eco freindly.

3. The other question is, is this boiler serviceable, we have had so much conflicting advice from numerous people who may be biased. So who's right and who's wrong and is it subject to opinion. Is there anywhere we can go to find out the hourly burn rate of fuel so we can look at effeciency levels.

4. Prior to the advice offered we were quite oblivious to any problems being simple lay people and our extent of knowledge was to switch the boiler on and off, and every year have it serviced, We rely on the expertise of Oftec engineer.

5. Presented with a CD 11 OFTEC enginneres form it out lines all the safety checks that should be carried out, I know for a fact upon reflection that our services over the years consisted of cleaning the moter and replace the nozzle that was the full extent of the service.
From a laymans point of view weve never had any problems with the boiler failing ,as it always fires up when switched on.

We will be very interested in forum members points of view and expereince in such matters.

Sponsored Links
wrong flue , incorrect fittings, leaking co, and lack of ventilation all point to the answer you dont want, but if it can be rectified you have to weigh up the cost against replacement with a grade 'a' boiler. personally give it the burial it deserves.

Sponsored Links
If it really could be sorted out for less than £300 then most of my customers would have it repaired.

I disagree with you about the advantage of a new boiler. I would say that it would be a definite selling point and depending on your local housing market would be likely to more than recoupe the cost.

Tony

TSO = Triano STEWART Oil - the Stewart name dates this boiler back to at least the 1970's possible late 60's you wont get new baffles anywhere the Gross Combustion efficiency of one of these with complete baffles is about 77% at best, but with defective baffles, then the efficiency could be as low as 50%!! NOT GOOD factor in the obviously bad servicing in the past and a new boiler is really the only way forward
A Grant Vortex 21/26 would be a suitable replacement with a Net Efficiency of around 97% so as you can see much more economical

You will need to replumb your heating system as you will will have Gravity Hot Water at present this is no longer permisible and will not work with modern boilers anyway

It sounds like you made a good move changing Service Provider!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back