Universal Credit is madness

I, Daniel Blake.

Fiction, but based on real life examples. Tragic, but happening all the time. Another tragedy is moving single parents, usually mothers with young children, who are single because they have fled abusive partners, to homes hundreds of miles from where they work, with no support network, no idea about the area. The government just sees people as numbers, costs, risks, not as people.

But hey, people earning pay less tax when the next budget comes into effect, so who cares, eh? More money to spend on the second property.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately the above story is not an isolated case.

Ive heard similar stories -ex forces guys waiting for 6 weeks with no money coming in.

Universal credit should be more controversial than the Poll tax.

If Labour were to pledge sorting out UC and PIP on their next manifesto, I think they would get my vote.

The fact that this country / government ? Seem
To now rely on food banks ?? Should be a source of shame imo

Agree.

Do you, or will you, vote accordingly? Or vote for more of it?

Sponsored Links
Why not Corbyn? If Labour had a different leader, would that make you ore likely to vote for them?

Agree.

Do you, or will you, vote accordingly? Or vote for more of it?

Vote for who you want.

But don't complain about how society is, if you keep voting for more of the same

Ive heard similar stories -ex forces guys waiting for 6 weeks with no money coming in.

Universal credit should be more controversial than the Poll tax.

If Labour were to pledge sorting out UC and PIP on their next manifesto, I think they would get my vote.

UC the concept seems laudible but the implementation and use of third party assessors and myriad of rules makes it a horrible policy.

I want people off benefits, I am sure the vast majority want to work in decent jobs that pay enough to cover their bills but it seems everyone is being squeezed apart from the top 1%.

I voted tory and labour. I wish I could vote for a party that truly represents me but with the current electoral system neither do. I like some ideas from both labour and tory.

UC the concept seems laudible but the implementation and use of third party assessors and myriad of rules makes it a horrible policy.

I want people off benefits, I am sure the vast majority want to work in decent jobs that pay enough to cover their bills but it seems everyone is being squeezed apart from the top 1%.

I voted tory and labour. I wish I could vote for a party that truly represents me but with the current electoral system neither do. I like some ideas from both labour and tory.
a big group off people on benefits are hard working people with kids other groups are on sickness benefit but again many working
but the biggest group off people on benefits is pensioners
only about 2.5% goes on unemployment benefit off course by nature along side unemployment benefit will come child benefit housing council tax help etc

Last edited:
a big group off people on benefits are hard working people with kids other groups are on sickness benefit but again many working
but the biggest group off people on benefits is pensioners
only about 2.5% goes on unemployment benefit off course by nature along side unemployment benefit will come child benefit housing council tax help etc

60% of the welfare budget is spent on pensions.

This bit of data needs highlighting.

Despite its relatively high profile, spending on jobseeker’s allowance – paid to those who are unemployed and meet certain criteria – accounted for only £2 billion or a little under 1 per cent of total welfare spending.

https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/brief-guides-and-explainers/an-obr-guide-to-welfare-spending/

thanks for that my figures are about 5 years old so up to date is more helpful

In the case of the disabled, the work capability assessment or WCA as it is better known is a version of a discredited capability assessment model used by American health insurance company Unum.
Unum funded advisors to the government were instrumental in the creation of the benefits 'reform' policy which has led to the introduction of UC.
Unum itself has been sued for 100's of millions by policy holders to whom it denied benefits by using a capability assessment model which has been declared a device for disability denial.
The government is spending more on devising ways to deny legitimate claiments their rights than it is actually saving in benefits

In the case of the disabled, the work capability assessment or WCA as it is better known is a version of a discredited capability assessment model used by American health insurance company Unum.
Unum funded advisors to the government were instrumental in the creation of the benefits 'reform' policy which has led to the introduction of UC.
Unum itself has been sued for 100's of millions by policy holders to whom it denied benefits by using a capability assessment model which has been declared a device for disability denial.
The government is spending more on devising ways to deny legitimate claiments their rights than it is actually saving in benefits

Nobody is against assessment but when the logic is that it's done by an external third party who is incentives to deny people its not run for the purposes it should be.

I might be wrong but I believe 1/3 are denied of which over half win their cases on appeal.

There are still 300,000+ households where nobody has worked - ever. That figure seems to be rising at a time of record employment.

Sponsored Links
Back