URGENT-Is the boiler flu too close.

condensate comes out the bottom of these, yeah? so it could not drain if it had to go above flue height

Sponsored Links
I appreciate I may be starting to annoy some of you on here, but I can assure you that had this thing been near a living room window it wouldn’t have bothered me even though staring at a permanent mist would not be pleasant. The main reason for kicking up a fuss is simply because it is right next to my bedroom window and I simply don’t want to breathe it in. It really is as simple a that.

The kits you guys have kindly mentioned, would they require a massive amount of work for them to be installed onto the outlet you see in my photo, would any new holes need to be drilled etc, or can they simply be slotted on. The reason I ask is I am going to take all the info from here to my neighbour an elderly couple, who I have a good relationship with. What I don’t want is for the warm front boys to simply confuse and confound them by saying it is a massive job and now completely impossible, as it would require lots of new holes etc etc.. . This may understandably scare them off from pursuing it. I fully intend to get the warm front boys to pay for it, not my neighbour who know about as much about these things as me, i.e. nothing, worst case I will pay.

I am now also concerned to learn that the fumes would be acidic and may damage the windows, both theirs and mine, all though again that is not my main issue.

Really angry that these guys couldn’t have taken a few extra minutes to install the extension, instead of causing people stress.

Hi,

I am a warmfront installer so may be able to help.

Firstly as said it is a possible nuisance but not a health risk at all.

The elbow on the end (deflector in the book) cannot be fitted directly upwards, it has to be at an angle as the picture shows it is to stop excess water entering the flue apparently.

A plumbe management kit for an ideal would involve removing all of the existing flue and replacing with new, unfortunatly due to it's design it cannot simply be added onto the end like the vaillant PDK kit.

Also the angle of the flue would more than likely have to change as when fitting a snorkel kit ideal recommend the first section (4") to be horizontal. This means any making good may have to be altered.

Sam

Also just to add. Had they originally installed a snorkel kit (which would not have even been considered bearing in mind it is well within regulation and on the first floor) then your neighbour WOULD have paid for it. Warmfront work is priced the same as any other work so any additional materials would have been added to the list and there excess (if any) would have gone up by approx £200 (price of kit)

My guess would be that even with a plume managment kit taking it up to the guttering, if the wind was blowing the wrong way it would still be just as much of a nuisance.

The joy's of condensing boilers :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am a warmfront installer so may be able to help.

Sam

Thanks for posting, could you confirm if these guys have to work to any other standards then already mentioned, for example as I have said the height of the flu is simply the height of the guy with the drill in his hand, had he been taller it would have been higher.

Surely if it is possible they should be required, as best practice, to go to the maximum height to avoid these issues, it would have required a ladder on the flat roof. I can't imagine that warm front simply states stand upright and drill where your head ends!! It's a complete joke that they couldn't put the effort in, considering the government is paying for the whole thing!

Hi,

A plumbe management kit for an ideal would involve removing all of the existing flue and replacing with new, unfortunatly due to it's design it cannot simply be added onto the end like the vaillant PDK kit.

Sam

is that part 203146

Hi,

Yes that is the correct new part number

I would very much doubt he stood on the roof, took a pot shot and guessed where to drill judged by his height.

More likely is that a pilot hole was drilled out where it was suitable from inside then drilled back through to avoid lots of dust all over the internal surfaces.

It's not just a case of routing the flue pipe to suit, very often the flue is what dictates where the boiler can be sited. A few examples could be, cables or other object above the flue. Clearances manufacturers decide is appropriate for servicing , existing pipework, condense pipe termination etc.

Also I'm 99% sure without lifting the whole boiler up which may not have been possible, to take the flue pipe upwards before turning out the wall requires a vertical adaptor.

Warmfront purchase all the gear as required by the contractors survey. Changing, adding and even removing parts once the order has been complete is a nightmare.

ALL warmfront jobs get inspected by warmfront, usually within 4 weeks of the job being completed so if you speak to your neighbour you can ask them to inform you when they know the time/date and ask to speak to them yourself.

HTH Sam

Hi,

Warmfront purchase all the gear as required by the contractors survey. Changing, adding and even removing parts once the order has been complete is a nightmare.

ALL warmfront jobs get inspected by warmfront, usually within 4 weeks of the job being completed so if you speak to your neighbour you can ask them to inform you when they know the time/date and ask to speak to them yourself.

HTH Sam

Is that done by someone independent of the company who installed it and as a warm front installer yourself do these inspections carry any weight?

This is very useful to know, thanks

All warmfront work is carried out by approved contractors, not warmfront themselves (with the exception of iguana which is owned by warmfront but considered an independent company so same rules apply)

Inspections are carried out by warmfront themselves to check approved installers are carrying out work to the correct standard/specification.

They carry enough weight to send you back to a job for remedial work before contractors get paid for the complete job so i would say it is fairly substantial :D

It may be worth speaking to installers (your neighbour will have there number on a sticker on the front of the boiler) and discuss changing the angle of the plumbe deflector or even removing it completly first. It's a 2 minute job which could save you and them a lot of agro.

Sam

i appreciate the comments from the OP about the height etc, but as someone who has worked on warmfront among others and have been held accountable for others safety, if i had arrived at the job to see a guy up a ladder on a flat roof using core cutter i would have given him pelters for not mimimising the risk of injury to himself by drilling up a ladder when not necessary, as someone else said the height wil be determined by the install clearences on the inside and after checking height on inside fitter would confirm more than minimum clearence from customers window is met by turning bend while still complying with clearances to next door, fumes from boiler are not going into your property as they are diluted by outside air and therefore even under fault conditions and producing CO they would still be diluted enough not to be dangerous, other wise the minimum distance would be much more, my boiler flue is level with my window and about 600mm away from it, it is about 3.5m from my door and sometimes with the wind blowing you can smell "something" while standing at the door but it doesn't bother me because it is diluted.

Dont get too excited too quickly.

As Sam and the rest of us have explained to you, the installation meets all the regulatory requirements and has been designed as the most cost effective solution to the installation.

As far as I understand the cost is not just met by Warmfront. Each applicant is assessed financially and has to make a contribution to the cost. Increasing the total price by £200 would mean the occupiers paying exactly that, £200 more.

The £200 is I suspect the list retail price and not what I would buy it for!

Tony

Personally speaking, I wouldn't worry too much about it...An Ideal boiler will only plume when it is working....

A couple of comments :LOL:

Looking at the height of the flue the boiler must be nearly on the floor :rolleyes:

Also looking at the flue, I doubt it's the correct distance from the boundary. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back