VCW 242 GB EH (**GAS PROBLEMS?**) Gas ignites but cuts out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler is pretty old over 20 years but has been maintained well and several parts have been replaced over the years.

Current problem is that it takes several attempts to light and once it has it won't stay alight. :cry:

When I turn it on CH or DHW it takes 20 or so ignition attempts to light. The flame is visible for a second each time it tries to ignite but immediately goes out and the flame continues to go on and off and sometimes eventually locks out. When the boiler does manage to light it stays on for about 1 minute and abruptly the flame goes out and the process starts again.

Nothing visibly wrong with the flame detection electrodes, burners or anything else. Heat exchangers were cleaned after the problem started but the problem seems to be related to the gas one way or another.

I have now turned down the gas inlet valve so that reduced gas is supplied to the boiler and that has resolved the issue of the gas lighting and cutting out. The boiler now lights and stays alight on first ignition and does not cut out. :)

Only problem is now that there is reduced gas going into the boiler the flame is very small and barely heats the water. Obviously that is not a solution to the problem but I am able to get at least a minimal amount of heat out of the boiler until I can get the problem properly resolved.

Any help is appreciated. I will probably need to get a professional in to sort it if its too complicated but I wanted to have an idea of the possible solution so that I don't end up spending money on things that are not faulty. Also please let me know what the rough costs are for any repairs you come up with.

FYI. The problem/fault has developed over several months and has been getting worse. It did not come on all of a sudden. No changes were made to any part of the boiler or system prior the fault developing.

Thanks guys. :D

Sponsored Links
I can't believe you changed the gas pressure willy nilly.

That is supremely stupid.

Turn it off and call a professional.

I hope you live alone. :eek:

I can't believe you changed the gas pressure willy nilly.

I hope you live alone.

:eek:

I can believe it!

And he is still hoping that we will tell him what is wrong so that he can fix it himself.

But he will be disappointed because forum rules prevent us giving any gas advice. So hopefully he will do the right thing and call a gas reg engineer.

The cost? That will depend on the area and who he calls but will probably start at £84.

Tony

Sponsored Links
That is not all that you did!

You also opened the combustion chamber which should not be touched by DIYers because it forms the room sealed aspect of the boiler.

Our advice is that when that has been done the boiler should not be used until it has been checked by a gas reg engineer for safety.

Tony

Thanks for the advice Tony but I'm not a complete novice!

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks for your posts guys. I have found the problem and the boiler is now fixed. :D

It was the *****************

Both CH and DHW operation are working perfectly. The boiler lights on first ignition with low flame and increases within 2 seconds and no longer abruptly cuts out. The boiler shuts off only once the heat has reached its limits. There are no longer any 'boom' noises either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back