Vokera Compact 29 Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got the Vokera Compact 29 boiler (20020832) installed about 1 year ago and recently noticed that there is a pipe running from it into our cellar.

As you can see in the picture below, the pipe is not connected to anything and is actually leaking about half a pint of water per day. I only recently discovered this due to investigating a damp problem in our house.

Could someone tell me what the purpose of this pipe is and what I should do to make sure the water stops dripping in my cellar. I thought it was a condensate pipe but noticed that the boiler is a combi boiler, not sure if this makes a difference.

1zxo944.jpg

================================================================
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did the boiler installers arrive on horseback? Yeeehaarr!

That is the condensate pipe, and needs to discharge into the waste water system. Either the pipe needs rerouting to discharge properly, or a condensate pump might be needed to pump the dircharge to the waste.

Not sure if this applies to my current boiler but I was reading that condensing boilers release nitric acid which has to be neutralised before going to the sewer.

Is this the case with my boiler?

The discharge is mildly acidic. It doesn't need to be neutralised unless it is discharged into a soakaway in the ground. If discharged into waste water, it needs no treatment.

Sponsored Links
It is only very mildly acidic.

I have tasted the condensate from my boiler and its very difficult to notice any specially noticeable taste at all.

Tony

Of course the pipe needs to be terminated correctly Rob. But I wouldn't worry unduly about the staining of the brickwork. The damp may or may not be a result of the condensate into your cellar. Brick staining is common.

Older properties didn't have a DPM on or under the solum, so it may have drained away quite well, that's no excuse for the chancer that fitted your boiler..... :eek:

HTH

I would also lag those pipes properly while you're down there.

Hi Richard,

This is what it looked like once I cleared all the rubble away that was under the bucket in the original picture.

r1ae60.jpg

As you can see there was a damp proof course, which looks like it was some kind of tar substance and some of it has eroded away.

I would also lag those pipes properly while you're down there.
Good call mate.

Yeah bitumen was poured over an earth infill to form the solum between the dwarf walls. Very common indeed.
Just ensure the condensate pipe is properly terminated, your air vents are clear & your external ground level is below the property DPC.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to help.

Was also wondering do I need to replace the Damp Proof in the areas it is missing?

Do I need I need to inject the walls with damp proofing?

The external ground level is well below the DPC and the air vents are already clear.

I'd not worry too much about the DPM over the solum Rab. Loads of houses have no DPM on the solum, just soil. I'd recommend you keep an eye on the area with the bitumen missing & if it doesn't dry out then you may then need to do something about it.

Get the installer back to put it right. If they will not rectify, I would advise contacting the Gas Safe Register for an inspection.

James.

I contacted the plumber who installed it yesterday and they claimed that they must have forgotten to terminate the pipe but are coming back with a condensing pump and running it to the waste pipe.

I contacted the plumber who installed it yesterday and they claimed that they must have forgotten to terminate the pipe but are coming back with a condensing pump and running it to the waste pipe.

Aye right!! I'll need to remember that line myself..... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back