Wall facing panel is hotter than the room facing panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have a 2 panel 1 convector radiator. One panel of the radiator is noticeably hotter than the other. Normally this wouldn't matter but the panel against the wall is the hottest where the panel facing the room is a lot less hot. Do you have any ideas what may be causing this. I have tried to bleed but it appears fine. Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks dcawkwell. lol just preparing for winter whilst it's still reasonably hot outside. Do you know if sludge would be the issue even in a newish radiator, we moved in last year so no idea how old but it doesn't look really old. Also do you know whether sludge builds up only in radiators or is it in the pipes to - I suppose what I'm trying to say is it worth getting the system professionally flushed out or if I take affected rads off and flush them out if that would be just as good. Again thank your advice.

does your heating system have a feed and expansion tank in the loft, or a pressure gauge on the boiler?

when you bleed the rads, what comes out?

when you took off your old rad, what came out?

Sponsored Links
Sludge affects a system not just rads!

It tends to settle in bottom of rads and double panel are the worst culprits.

Take rads off if you like or try sludge remover like X800 for four hours or X400 for six weeks.

Start using those chemicals with ALL other rads turned off for the first hour so the maximum concentration is applied to the problem rad.

Tony Glazier

One panel of the radiator is noticeably hotter than the other. Normally this wouldn't matter but the panel against the wall is the hottest where the panel facing the room is a lot less hot. Do you have any ideas what may be causing this.

More heat emitted from the panel facing the room, making it cooler?

If that was the problem they would all be like that!

If that was the problem they would all be like that!

They are! , with a double panel radiator the front panel gives up more of it's heat than that of the rear panel due to the front panel 'seeing' more of the room. :p

I agree but the actual difference will be small.

Furthermore, because the DIY test is touching the top then they feel the flow temp.

The actual difference would be measurable by seeing the return temperature at the bottom of each panel.

In most cases the difference would be very small on a correctly set up rad. Probably virtually unmeasurable in practice on a double panel with fins on both parts.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back