Water damage. Is it the Plumbers fault?

Sponsored Links
Why are you bothering with the small claims court. You haven't got a strong case and your insurance should cover it.

You can hardly blame the plumber for faulty goods that you supplied. Unless you can prove that it was down to how it was fitted, which it doesn't sound that you can.

"Fibre" washers are pretty reliable to be honest,and it is usually down to poor installation when they fail,although not always, but any leaks usually show up within a few minutes or an hour or so.
I

When they "fail" do they turn into a "pulp"?

Which part of "yup" is it that you don't understand?

I can't say if your plumber messed up but his description of a fibre washer failing is the description of someone with experience of them failing and is in fact bang on the money.

Recently I had two calls.

First was to replace a motorised valve (customer supplied). This I did but the valve failed to work. The customer tried to blame me until I pointed out I had carried out the task he called me out for i.e. replace the motorised valve. Had he not been OTT WRT being ripped off, he would have in pocket letting the ‘worker’ get on with the work. Some customers watching rogue traders think every one they call out is a rogue.

Second call was a customer who purchased a gas valve and wanted it replaced. Gas valve was not replaced as failure was due to incorrectly fitted pilot burner (by him). Wrong type of thermocouple was also fitted.

When a customer goes out with a list to purchase materials for someone else to fit, he is embarking down a slippery slope. Often the items purchased are ill fitting or essential components are not there. When these facts become apparent, the fitter/ installer gets dragged in to clear the mess.

A while back a woman purchased a gas fire. Two recommendations resulted in me being asked to fit the fire. This was done but the coals had a defect. Makers were contacted who sent a subcontractor to sort out the problem. The subcontractor started to slate my work and suggested the coal that were faulty were not available (despite the makers saying they were). The woman called be deceptive (she was to get the replacement coal, not me) and a liar.

Moral of above stories is thread with care when a client supplies the goods.

Sponsored Links
I went to B&Q to buy there so called fibre washers for a 22mm flexi tap connector cos id lost original. The washer just tore up in my hand like paper so id hate to think what water would do over time. you cant take a chance with water;especially with bath taps cos the panel goes on,and thats it,or so you think until a couple of weeks later when you get that dreaded phone call, hi my ceilings fell in. Get the ones with the rubber cos there easier on the heart,and they dont fall out so you dont lose them. there a dam sight cheaper than B&Q also.

I just got to say it :LOL:

If the fitting is done up tight and fitted correctly, the washer isn't in the water, it's sandwiched between two surfaces.

I just got to say it :LOL:

If the fitting is done up tight and fitted correctly, the washer isn't in the water, it's sandwiched between two surfaces.

Nonesense :rolleyes:

If a fibre washer is fitted correctly it will not leak Ever why is that ?? if they fall to bits in contact with water then they would all leak if they're in contact with water which they ain't.

Of course they're in contact with the water. You on drugs tonight?

Tap connector. Think about it? Washer to tap, water in pipe passing washer,no? Try fitting said tap connector without a fibre washer to test your theory.

Ballvalve same thing. Try disconnecting a side entry brass ballvalve from the tail then tell me that washer ain't permanently in contact with the water?

You winding me up here big yin? :LOL:

Sheesh,I blame short sellers ;)

from my point of view.

if a fibre washer is correctly fitted & tight it will be in contact with water, causing it to swell & hence seal the joint.

from my point of view.

if a fibre washer is correctly fitted & tight it will be in contact with water, causing it to swell & hence seal the joint.

Thank God. Thought I was going off my head there. Least we're sober or less drunk than bawhied ;)

from my point of view.

So what you are saying is it will leak until the washer swells, stick to drinking water in future ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back