Water damage. Is it the Plumbers fault?

Sponsored Links
Would it be outrageous to suggest that some fibre washers are rubbish and some are fine? !!

Tonybhoy - I don't do enough bogs to know the washer you're on about. Got a pic?
It's usually neighbours who want free plumbing on a Sunday who come to me for bog stuff...

Chris, a lot of the brass ball valves are designed to take a nut and olive, so the tail is tapered and has very little surface area for a the washer to seat.

Would it be outrageous to suggest that some fibre washers are rubbish and some are fine? !!

Tonybhoy - I don't do enough bogs to know the washer you're on about. Got a pic?
It's usually neighbours who want free plumbing on a Sunday who come to me for bog stuff...

Pic was posted,please try to keep up son :LOL: in a reply to gra...sorry Doitall earlier on in the thread,the one on Lunn's site ;)

Sponsored Links
dia said:
Chris, a lot of the brass ball valves are designed to take a nut and olive, so the tail is tapered and has very little surface area for a the washer to seat.
Yes I know that even though I've only changed a few. A hundred or so I suppose. Not so far had trouble with one leaking though.

Still don't know whatcheonabaht Tonyb. Do you mean the skinny little red fibre tap-connector washer which doesn't fit modern float valve spigots? I've always mummified those with ptfe!

Sorry don't know how to do a screen grab :oops:
It seems that you don't know how to do an image URL either. ;)

Is this what you meant:

ballvalve_se_plastic_adjarm.jpg

:?:

having worked on numerous building sites fitting around 400 fibre washers a year i have never had any problems. The only fibre washers i have had a problem with are the ones they supply with some braided hoses, absolute ****, but apart from that no problems

There's no clear definition of what constitutes a fibre washer.

You get what you pay for, and, as eaton has observed, some are made of what appears to be nothing more than worst quality compressed blotting paper. Only this morning I changed one of those for a rubber one, on a site of 50 apartments built by one team of idiots.

Sorry don't know how to do a screen grab :oops:
It seems that you don't know how to do an image URL either. ;)

Is this what you meant:

ballvalve_se_plastic_adjarm.jpg

:?:

The very boy,thanks Softus :)

The fibre washer of which I speak is in the tail behind the nut. On new ballvalves this washer has been changed to rubber about the size of a washing machine hose washer but you still get valves with the fibre washer,brass side entry valves still have the fibre one.

Yeah I've never see those fail, and even if one did the 'leak' would be contained and simply overfill the cistern.

Yeah I've never see those fail, and even if one did the 'leak' would be contained and simply overfill the cistern.

No they flood the bathroom sometimes when the pressure is pretty high other times the cistern copes as you say.

I don't see how a leaking washer could flood a bathroom unless the cistern lid is missing, or the overflow height is incorrectly set, or, in the case of an external overflow pipe, there's a cracked pipe or leaking joint on the overflow pipe.

None of those things is caused by a fibre washer problem.

I don't see how a leaking washer could flood a bathroom unless the cistern lid is missing, or the overflow height is incorrectly set, or, in the case of an external overflow pipe, a cracked pipe or leaking joint. :confused:

It's called making excuses for shoddy work, if they are done up properly, even use a jointing compound if you must, they will not leak, and don't leak.

Faulty or split fitting, different story, but then you would make sure the client was show the fitting to cover your ass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back